Chapter 9: Out of Retirement: Jax

In the Kuatan jungle, where Team S.F. have now reached, Takeda is speaking to Kenshi through his communicator.

"We're all in one piece. No one seems to be tailing us." Takeda says.

"Have you been able to determine where D'Vorah was headed?" Kenshi asks.

"We think she's headed for the Sea of Blood." Takeda says.

Another voice is then heard over the communicator.

"Damn!" Jax says.

"Dad?" Jacqui asks, surprised to hear her father's voice.

"She's coming here. To Quan Chi. There's a secret portal near the Sea of Blood. Quan Chi had it built when we were gettin' ready to invade Outworld." Jax explains.

"Great." Cassie says.

"Dad, what are you doing? Why are you in the Netherrealm?" Jacqui asks.

In the Netherrealm. Jax is walking along the Krossroads with Kenshi, Manado and a squad of Special Forces soldiers, speaking into the communicator.

"Well, now who's being overprotective?" Jax jokingly asks.

"I know you think you have things to make up for, but–" Jacqui says before being cut off.

"I'm doing this for Sonya. She's family." Jax explains.

"That's why I'm worried." Jacqui says.

"I'll be fine. You stay safe, y'hear?" Jax asks.

"You stay safe too. I love you. Briggs out." Jacqui says.

"Briggs out." Jax replies before he switches off the communicator.

"Feeling better? Or worse?" Kenshi asks.

"Not sure. Maybe both." Jax says.

Kenshi chuckles and places a hand on Jax's shoulder.

"They'll be fine." Kenshi assures.

"Question is, will I be?" Jax asks.

"Don't worry about it." Manado says.

They then walk over the Krossroad's bridge to the landscape before it. Several soldiers have set up a perimeter behind cover, facing outward into the hellish landscape beyond.

"We have good crossfire position. But why is it Quan Chi travels by conventional means?" Kenshi asks.

They then walk over to another person, one of the Netherrealms' more known denizens, for their answer.

"He seems unable to fully use his magic. He's weaker than when I was... in his service." Sareena explains.

"Sareena's dead on. He doesn't have Shinnok as a power source. He's still Quan Chi, though." Jax says.

Kenshi nods at this. The four of them take up a position behind some rocks as cover.

"I realise you agreed to guide and observe. But you are welcome to assume any role you wish." Kenshi says.

"I'm too rusty. I don't wanna jeopardise the mission." Jax says.

Kenshi silently accepts this.

"I'm just not so sure about this." Manado says, looking at the ground.

"Is this about our 'friends'?" Jax asks.

"Yes... I failed them once. I won't fail them again." Manado says.

Sareena looks into the distance beyond their cover.

"He approaches." Sareena informs.

The soldiers around them ready their assault rifles. Jax, Kenshi, and Manado crouch with Sareena behind cover, Jax with a growing dread visible on his face.