Prologue (MKX): The Past

A cave can be seen adorned with stone statues. The statues appear to be various human-like figures, who are in fact the Elder Gods. Johnny Cage begins a narration.

"Millions of years ago, Shinnok, one of the Elder Gods, turned on his fellow deities and invaded the Earthrealm." Johnny says.

It's then revealed that Shinnok is cowering before five of the Elder Gods, who's statues tower over him. Then another statue appears to show Shinnok imprisoned in chains amongst stone depictions of hellish scenery.

"Raiden and the Elder Gods stopped Shinnok. Locked him up in the Netherrealm." Johnny says.

Another Statue can be seen that shows a stone warhammer that reveals Outworld's most notorious emperor.

"Others followed in Shinnok's footsteps, like Outworld's emperor Shao Kahn, who was obsessed with conquering Earthrealm." Johnny says.

A Raiden statue then appears, poised to fight, with the Mortal Kombat's iconic dragon logo behind him. On opposite sides of the logo stand statues of Goro and Shang Tsung.

"So Raiden convinced the Elder Gods to inact the Mortal Kombat tournament as a way to even the odds... give Earthrealm a chance." Johnny says.

Then more statues appears, statues of Kano dueling Sonya, and statues with a depiction of Johnny facing three Tarkatans at once.

"For generations, Shao Kahn followed the Elder Gods' rules. The war moved to the arena, where he sent his toughest fighters to challenge Raiden's greatest defenders in Mortal Kombat." Johnny says.

Another statue shows Liu Kang punching a hole in Shao Kahn's chest, with background noise of the fight sounding out over Johnny's narration.

"Two years ago, we beat him." Johnny says.

In the background noise, Manado's final blow of the bout is heard, as is Shao Kahn's death scream.

"But Shao Kahn wasn't ready to lose." Johnny says.

Another group of statues can be seen, these ones showing Tarkatans attacking Earthrealm's military forces. The screams and sounds of slaughter are once again heard in the background.

"He violated the rules of Mortal Kombat and invaded Earthrealm." Johnny says.

Then more statues show a depiction of some of the fallen bodies of the Forces of Light - Liu Kang, Kitana, Kung Lao and Jax lying broken on the ground.

"Most of Earth's defenders - our friends - were killed. Turned into evil undead warriors." Johnny says.

The statue of Shao Kahn is then seen, now ensnared and being bitten by dragon serpents - the Elder Gods in corporeal form. His mighty warhammer falls to his side. The statue begins to crumble into pieces.

"Despite the odds, we stopped Shao Kahn's invasion. As punishment, the Elder Gods destroyed him." Johnny says.

One last cry of defeat from Shao Kahn can be heard as his statue completely falls apart. Another statue can be seen, this one holding a familiar looking amulet with an emerald at its center.

"We thought the long nightmare was over. But it turns out that Shinnok had been manipulating events." Johnny says.

The statue reveals Shinnok's face, and also a statue of Quan Chi can be seen behind him

"Shao Kahn's invasion, his death... all part of Shinnok's plan to escape the Netherrealm and resume his war on the Elder Gods." Johnny finishes.

The statue's eyes then begin to glow with an unholy fire, turning from red to yellow and finally white.