Chapter Twenty-Four

I didn't sleep much as I was too busy having flashbacks to my brutal assault years ago. I couldn't open up to Joey as much as I wanted to, but he tried to comfort me. I let him to a certain amount. All I really wanted was the one man that I just can't have and it makes me feel so sad. I've been torturing myself about Jake and this friendship I have with him. Was it true what Sam had told me? Was he only being nice to me to try and seduce me into bed? What if Jordan hadn't have turned up like he did, would Sam have gone further? Why was Jordan there in the first place. My head hurts from all the the questions and trying to make sense of everything.

"You need to eat, babe

"You need to eat, babe." Joey opens and closes his kitchen cupboards. I shrug. I know I'm supposed to eat due to the medication I'm on but eating is the last thing I feel like doing. "I'm fine." I watch the tree outside, gently blowing in the breeze. "Okay, suit yourself." I turn my head when I hear a plate being placed on the island surface near me. "It's just some mini sausage rolls, onion rings and garlic bread. I'm not the greatest of cooks as I'm sure you're aware of by now." I smile, appreciatively. "Thank you, you didn't have to." I can't resist garlic bread so I pinch a slice. It warms me to know that he cares about me, especially when I see him smiling to himself. "You know, your guy has been checking in on you with me. He does care about you." He announces so casually. "He's not my guy, Joseph. We both know that. His job is more important than I am to him." He tuts. "He's not doing it just for his job but for your future. It'd not look good on your resume if you get expelled for having a relationship with a professor." I laugh. He looks at me, confused. "I know but I hate it. I'm not going to be there forever." I shove a whole sausage roll in my mouth causing Joe's eyes to widen. "How the hell did you fit all of that in one good?!"

 "How the hell did you fit all of that in one good?!"

I go to speak but I suddenly remember my manners. It stupidly gets stuck on its way down and I try to cough to budge it. "Hang on, let me get you a drink." He does that and then goes to pat me on the back but he does it a little too hard. Ouch. The sausage roll finally goes down. "They may be mini but they're not that small. Be careful when you're putting big things in your mouth in future. Some guys like to choke their girl but not everyone does!" Jeez Joey, my eyes widen as my cheeks turn red from embarrassment. "Guess you're one of the guys that don't?" He laughs. "Nope I'm not babe, want me to prove it?" My cheeks turn even redder. I shake my head. "Nope, that's okay. I don't need to know any more details about you." he smirks. "Bet you're thinking about the dark haired stallion though, aren't you and wondering what he likes?! Hang on a sec..." I watch as he takes his phone out of his pocket. "Hey mate, how are you doing? Yeah she's doing okay, finally got her to eat something." Oh no, I can feel myself dying with embarrassment... Joey puts his phone on loudspeaker. "Glad she is. What did you get her to eat? You're not the greatest of chefs." Jordan says unknowingly knowing that I can hear him. "You're not much better though, dude! Sausage rolls, garlic bread and onion rings." I glare at Joey, hoping that I'm somehow persuading him not to drop me in it. "Hey got a question for ya... do you like to choke a girl?" Jordan laughs. "What the hell... and no, it's not my thing. Why?" I grimace at Joey. That smirk of his is devious. "Oh, I was just reading up about it. There's so many kinks and fetishes, even I'm surprised to learn about them." I stifle a giggle. "Alright, Joseph. Is she still staying there with you?" The conversation becomes more serious now. "She's still here. I've sent her to do some reading or something to try to relax. She's hardly slept but it's understandable." There's silence for a minute then Jordan pipes in... "I'm glad she has you." I stare into space. Joe wraps his arm around my shoulder, obviously sensing my feelings/emotions. "You alright, bud?" Joe asks him. The line stays quiet except for Jordan's breathing. "Yeah, gonna hang out with my brother so I'll stop of at the grocery store on the way to pick up some drinks." I carefully watch Joe as different emotions flicker in his eyes. "I'm here if you want to chat or you're welcome to join us here at mine." I can tell Jordan is dithering on what to do. "I'll stop by in a bit, maybe." They eventually hang up.