Wildfire

Written by : chocodayo

Summary:

"Where are you hurt?" he asks.

Immediately a finger is pointed at her lips. "Right here!" At his responding deadpan, unamused look, she pouts. "Oh, come on! Haven't you ever heard of "kissing it better"? It really works!"

"Be serious for once," he grumbles.

Getting a call from Fukukado Emi—better known as Ms. Joke for not so good reasons—really isn't how Aizawa Shouta wants to start his Thursday morning.

____________________________

Shouta hates being woken up in the middle of the night. He sleeps very little, always busy and scrambling to find time in the day to just sit down and do nothing, and so he treasures every measly hour of rest he can get. As it is right now, he's trying to get a full eight hours after having been kept awake by a certain dumbass's case file for more than seventy-two hours, and really could use the rest. He's running on fumes at this point.

Getting a call from that same dumbass, AKA Fukukado Emi—better known as Ms. Joke for not so good reasons—really isn't how Shouta wants to start his Thursday morning. Not to mention that his alarm clock is telling him it's 3:03AM and he doesn't have to be waking up for another five hours. Maybe even longer if Nedzu doesn't mind him arriving late.

But no, the infamous serial killer Ms. Joke is calling him at 3:03AM and Shouta is forced to answer it. "What do you want now?"

"Can you meet me?" Emi's voice is labored, just like her heavy breathing, and Shouta sighs but gets out of bed anyway. " 'm by that cute cat café you like!"

"No." Despite Shouta's obvious annoyance, he's already sliding on a pair of sweatpants and a shirt before grabbing his keys. "What the hell did you do this time?"

Emi giggles. She can, no doubt, hear him rummaging around for wherever he last threw his jacket. "That's a surprise! You're gonna have to come over here to find out!"

Ugh. Shouta really hates surprises.

"Fine," he says.

He ends the call just as Emi starts rambling on about how she knows he secretly likes her, not really wanting to hear another one of her ridiculous marriage proposals for the nth time. He finally manages to locate his jacket and, glancing at the time once more, leaves his apartment.

Almost nobody is out and about at this hour. Shouta supposes it makes this entire situation easier; a lack of witnesses makes it that much harder to catch a criminal, sure, but he's never been one to want much company. He still can't believe he even got out of bed for this. Emi is a world-renowned serial killer with a kill streak easily over one-hundred. He shouldn't be agreeing to meet her like this.

But, he supposes, he can't bring himself to stop. He always goes through this self-loathing song and dance every time Emi lands in Japan and asks to see him. She does this every time, and he goes to her. Every single time.

He should stop fighting it and just accept it at this point; it always gets him new leads too. Emi's popular, attracts the likes of other, lesser-known murderers, and she doesn't have any sort of alliance with any of them so ratting them out is like breathing to her. A quick meeting like this often allows Shouta to lock up at least half a dozen of them within a week. It certainly keeps him in Nedzu's good graces.

He only wishes for one thing with these meetings—

Arms wrap around him and squeeze him tight. "Shouta!"