Frozen

Written by:
9r7g5h, The 9 One (9r7g5h)

Summary:

But this was no typical thief. An ordinary thief didn't have a scent that made his knees weak, made his eyes tear up as he realized for the first time in six fucking months he could breathe, the bite mark on the side of his neck throbbing in the presence of the alpha that had left it. An ordinary thief wouldn't have stood at his entrance, eyes soft and smile genuine, arms reaching out to hold him. An average thief wouldn't say his name in such a way that sent his heart racing, making his child, their child, flip within his womb.

Because standing before him was no normal thief.

"You came back," Izuku choked out, his knife falling to his side, from his hands, clattering to the wooden floor they'd both built.

"Deku," Katsuki purred, "I came home."

"Get out of my den, Bakugou."

_______________________________

It was beautiful.

That was the only thing Izuku could think of looking at the deer - her large brown eyes, her soft fur, her ears flicking as she pawed through the snow for food. She fit perfectly into the forest, far better than he did. She'd been born there, raised there; he was just an intruder, existing in her world.

But her leg. Her leg had been twisted at some point, maybe even bit by some failed hunter. That was probably why she'd been left behind by the herd, left to fend for herself despite her otherwise health. If he didn't do it, some other predator would.

Raising his bow, Izuku took a few deep breaths as he drew the arrow to his ear. As he lined the tip to her heart (make it quick, painless, give the gods their due). As he slowly let the air in his lungs out, fingertips loosening on the string-

Only to jerk and hiss at the sharp kick to his ribs, knocking the arrow wide. It clattered somewhere against a tree, loud in the frozen silence of the woods; a clear warning to everything around that something dangerous was there, something to be feared. Even recovering quickly, ignoring the deep ache in his side to pull another arrow and stand again, Izuku knew it would be for nothing: she was gone, already stumbled off into the safety of the trees around them. Her tracks were clear. He could hunt her if he wanted, but with how low the sun already was?

Chiyo estimated only a month or so to go before he was due, and his lack of mobility showed. He might have considered it earlier in the day, or his stomach not weighed down with such an unruly pup. With a sigh, Izuku slung his bow over his shoulder, gloved hand rubbing circles over where he'd been kicked.

"I didn't want venison either, love," he said softly, even as he mourned the week's worth of food and new soft, warm pelt. "Maybe we can trade for a rabbit in town."

He took the gentle roll at his words as a positive, grateful that the end of the day would be peaceful, at least for them.

The return home was quiet - the forest still recovering from his faux pas, birdsong soft under the crunch of his boots on the ice. He could have brought his ram and remained silent, his hooves finding the best paths between the trees. Of course, that only would have been going in. Mighty didn't take kindly to his hunts, and if he had been successful, the complaints at having to carry another herbivore back home would have been non-stop. Mighty had been desensitized to blood, but he wasn't a-.

Izuku stopped that train of thought before it could continue, shaking his head hard to force it from his mind. He didn't have time to dwell on memories, not now.