ICEHOLE

Written by:
surveycorpsjean

Summary:

Izuku continues to fall. Off rocky cliffs, over tree stumps, into rivers and in love.

Or; they're married, but not bonded - and it's killing them. Like, for real.

_______________________________

❆❆❆

The snow came early this year.

Izuku knew it by the birds. Kacchan called it seasonal paranoia, but when the clouds came right over the mountains, he was the first one to start shoveling. Izuku doesn't say 'I told you so' because he values his life (ha), but also because Kacchan caught a deer for dinner that evening, so. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

Izuku tightens the leather wrap around his gloves, then adjusts his grip on the axe. At the first swing, it scares off a nosy fox poking around the herd. A few rams bleat in annoyance. Izuku splits the wood on the second swing.

He senses the wolves before they come barreling over the hills; their big paws crush in the snow, and excited yipping echoes off the open hills. The youngest wolf darts right for the fox, chasing it into the trees. The pack leader tends to the rams, and Izuku splits another log.

Kacchan's voice cuts through the cold. His tone is raspy and bitter – just like it's always ever been. His coat is drawn up to his nose, and his gait is deathly silent in the snow. He's even more of a predator than the wolves he commands, and Izuku's always been smart enough to know that.

"You're not supposed to be out here."

Izuku wipes his forehead with the back of his sleeve. Sure he's a little warm, but the cold feels nice.

"Aww come on, it's not even below zero."

Katsuki's jaw ticks. He looks so big and intimidating in his fur coat, smelling of blood and pheromones, eyes slitted wild off a fresh kill. Izuku is too many years past actual intimidation (mostly, okay, mostly).

"You damn well know better. If I'm out hunting, you –"

"I'm not going to stay in the hut. You know better."

Kacchan breathes out of his nose. It steams in the air, bubbling like a cloud, then evaporating against the white snow that piles around them. He speaks through his teeth as if he's lost his patience.

"Can you even smell yourself? You fucking reek. Every dipshit alpha in the steppes is gonna' come crawling into our front yard, and then I gotta' deal with it."

Izuku sniffs under his arm. Hm, smells fine to him. He rolls his eyes and leans over for a new log.

"So dramatic, honestly. They know better by now. You made that very clear last year."

Katsuki digs into his inner coat pocket, and rips out a handful of black fabric with a scowl. Izuku pauses, and lowers the axe. He can smell it now; the blood of another alpha that wandered too far (so sour and awful). Katsuki isn't so stupid as to use an alpha command (Izuku would never let him live that down), but he does use a tone that makes all his hair stand on end.

"Get in the house."

Izuku slips the axe from his hand with attitude. Katsuki oversees him all the way inside, waiting impatiently until Izuku has made a grand show of sitting on his bedroll and waving his arms around as if to say happy now?