put your lips on me and I can breathe underwater

Written by:
surveycorpsjean

Summary:

"This is where we sleep?" Izuku runs his hand over the bedspread.

Katsuki short-circuits. He hadnʼt expected—he isnʼt against sharing a bed with Izuku. But heʼd prepared another bedroom for him on the other side of the house. Just to make him comfortable and shit. He had a whole plan. But—

"Yeah," Katsuki nods. "We sleep here."

or: Izuku asks Katsuki to teach him how humans kiss...and other things.

____________________________

Izuku sprints before he can walk, right into Katsukiʼs arms as the last of his scales fade into freckled skin on his brand new legs.

Heʼs breathless.

"Kacchan. Kacchan—I did it, did you see it? Iʼve got legs. Iʼve got real legs. With feet and everything?"

"I see ʼem."

Theyʼre beautiful. Heʼs beautiful. Just as he was with that stupid-looking tail, those damn big fins.

"So...can we human kiss now? You, um...you said we would."

What a dork. Heʼs not even wearing pants and he wants kisses.

"Later," Katsuki says, as he lets Izuku nuzzle into his neck—where his gills would be if he had any—itʼs a merpeople greeting, and Izukuʼs nothing if not full of enthusiasm. "Clothes first."

"I donʼt think I need any. Iʼm good."

"Yeah," Katsuki peeks over and looks at his freckled butt, unreasonably cute. "You—you definitely do."

No one else should be seeing that. He wraps his beach towel around Izukuʼs midsection protectively as he listens to him babble, answering when he thinks itʼs necessary.

"Youʼll get your kiss. Quit naggin'."

"Yeah, I still like you."

"Of course I have food."

Somehow he manages to take Izuku up to the house without causing a major scene. Though the entire way up the beach Izuku isnʼt looking at the sand and the trees and the rocks and all the new land stuff he hasnʼt seen before. He keeps looking at Katsuki.

At the house Katsuki grabs him a loose pair of pants and a cropped shirt that matches his eyes—that deep ocean green. Izuku trips over his own feet, probably because heʼs not used to having any, but also because the pants are long on him.

So Katsuki rolls them up a bit, feeling weirdly vulnerable as he gets down on his knees.

Itʼs Izukuʼs first day on the land—why the fuck does it feel like itʼs Katsukiʼs? He's been here his entire life. It shouldn't feel new. This house. This room. Everywhere the light touches and Izuku pokes around. Like he's having the time of his life and he hasn't just left the only home he's ever known. All of his friends.

Katsuki would have joined him underwater if that was something he knew how to do. He just...didn't. He's human with obvious human limitations and somehow Izuku still thinks that everything he does is so great.

What's his problem?

"Are you okay, Kacchan?"

"Fine."

Why wouldnʼt he be okay? Heʼs not giving anything up.

The transformation, from what Katsukiʼs been told, is permanent. Izukuʼs never gonna be a fish man again. He did all this because he wanted to be here. With his Kacchan. The weight of that—the responsibility—sinks in every second.