Chapter Six

"Tony's what?" Gibbs bellowed. He turned to look at Ducky. "Do you know anything about this?"

"It's not because of you Jethro." Ducky's voice was calm. "A health condition has come up because of it. It's not deadly or anything, but it is something he needs to deal with. Anthony just needs a little time before he tells anyone."

"I...." Gibbs looked at Ducky and Vance turned and walked out of the door

Vance looked at Ducky. "Dr Mallard, how is Agent DiNozzo?"

"He's fine. Anthony assuredly does require time to deal with what he is currently going through."

"I'm going to have to accept his resignation, but if he ever needs us, we are here for him." Vance gave Ducky a quick nod and then looked down at the paperwork on his desk.

XXXXX

Abby stared at Ducky in horror. "What do you mean he's resigned? He can't. He's not allowed to. Tony is one of my three musketeers. Apart from Gibbs and you Ducky, I've known him the longest."

"He just needs some time." Ducky repeated himself. "Don't do anything until he contacts you. Yes, you can send him a quick message saying you care, and you'll be there when he needs you. Don't chase him. Anthony has things he needs to do first."

"But..."

"Abigail, I mean it do not find out where he is or go there." Ducky's voice was stern.

"We understand isn't that right Abby, McGee." Ziva replied. It was obvious that it was something Tony wanted if Ducky was taking it this seriously.

"Right." McGee replied as he laid a hand on Abby's shoulder.

"Yeah right." Abby pouted and she would keep her word even though her fingers itched to attack the keyboard to find out where he was.

"I'd better go and find Jethro. I must say you all took this better than he did." Ducky turned and left them.

"Oh poor Gibbs." Abby stood and pulled Ziva and McGee into a hug. Her little world had fallen apart, and she hated change. At least she had these two. She did right? Abby pulled back and stared at the other two. "Neither of you are going, are you?" Her eyes narrowed in suspicion.

McGee smiled that gentle smile of his. "No Abby we are not going anywhere."

"McGee is correct." Ziva agreed.

XXXXX

Tony stared at the medications that Maddie had laid out on the table. In his hand, he held a piece of paper in which was his diet. He looked up at her. "You're kidding right?"

"Tony, you are pregnant there are certain things that your body needs. We have to make sure that the baby isn't missing out on anything it should be getting if you were a woman."

"How the fuck am I supposed to do this. I can't even take care of myself most days." Tony moaned as he let his head drop onto his arms.

"I am here and so is Ducky." Maddie paused for a moment. "Are you sure there isn't anyone else you want to tell?"

"No, I can't tell him not yet." Tony sent thanks silently as his phone rang. "Hey Ducky, what....yeah a good thing. Ok make sure he's ok. I will call him soon I promise."

Maddie stared at him and waited to learn what it was about. "Well?"

"Gibbs didn't take me resigning very well. Ducky's managed to convince everyone else to leave me to it. I'd better go and see them now while I can, before I...." He waved his hand at his stomach.

"Good idea. I'll drive you there and back. Don't worry you can contact me when you are ready to go. But, I am going with you." Maddie muttered she had taken the week of as a holiday to get Tony settled in and also make sure he had everything he needed.

XXXXX

Gibbs stared at his reflection, last night just like all the others had been full of nightmares. Why would Tony want to stick around? How could the young man even want to lay eyes on him?

He shook his head, grabbed his bag and headed out the door. It was going to be another long day, just like all the others seem to be at the moment. Gibbs would do his best to avoid Ducky; his old friend was starting to grate on his last night with the over-protectiveness.

XXXXX

The elevator doors pinged open. Abby was sitting in Tony's chair staring miserably at his desk. She looked up as soon as she heard it.

"Tony." She screeched clambering from the chair and ran to him. She hugged him tightly. "You're back."

"I'm visiting Ab's, I'm not back." Tony's voice was sad.

"Tony." Ziva walked over and hugged him, as well.

"Ziva, McProbie." Tony grinned at them.

McGee was so glad to hear that nickname. "Tony."

Tony walked over to Gibbs who stared at him, eyes wide.

"Hey boss."

"You resigned DiNozzo. I'm no longer your boss." Gibbs reminded him.

"I didn't leave because of you, of what happened. You were as much a victim as I was." Tony hoped he could get through, but doubted it. He knew how stubborn Gibbs could be.

"Then why are you leaving?" Gibbs wanted to believe him, but couldn't.

"A health situation has arisen." Tony heard Ducky cough in the background. "I need to sort that and find out if anyone else in my family had it."

Gibbs frowned. "Is it serious?"

"No, no I just need to see this through. When I am ready to talk about it, I will. It's just uhhhh weird and awkward at the moment."

"Tony I..."

Tony leaned forward and placed his fingers on Gibbs mouth. He knew he shouldn't here, not now. "I will keep in touch and we will see each other again. Everything I said about just asking I meant. I hope that you'll be able to forgive me." Tony looked away. "Ok I will keep in touch. I just wanted to see you and let you know I am fine. There are things I need to sort out, things that only I can."

"You promise." Abby asked.

"I promise." With one last look at Gibbs Tony turned and headed back towards the elevator. He could feel all of their eyes on him. Tony couldn't stay any longer he was afraid that he would give things away and he wasn't quite ready for that, not just yet.

Once Tony had entered the elevator and it disappeared Gibbs looked around and that was when he saw it, the first time he had actually noticed those pitying looks. He couldn't keep doing this. Something had to be done. Standing up he stormed off to Vance's office opening the doors without permission.

Leon Vance sighed and shook his head. He waved his assistant back to her desk.

"What can I do for you today Agent Gibbs?" Vance said sarcastically.

"I can't keep doing this. I have to leave." Gibbs announced.

Vance moved forward in his chair and stared at the other man intently. "Where are you going?"

"Mexico, back to spend time with Franks."

As much as Gibbs wound him up he was an excellent agent who had been through a lot. "How long will you be gone?"

Gibbs just stared at him.

TBC