Chapter 17: Tragedy of an Idol

Back in the AST court room. The Major has declared to lift up Origami's suspension and as she's about to adjourn their meeting, Ryuji barged in with Ryouko next to him.

"Sorry to interrupt but I have something to ask, Major Tsukamoto." Ryuji slammed a pile of files on the table in front of her. "'An independent AST unit, composed temporary transferees from DEM Industries, with special powers granted them in emergency situations', huh?"

"This is absurd! You're basically selling AST out to DEM!" Ryouko complained to the major.

"The spacequakes have been concentrated in this small area, not to mention the appearance of Kaijus and Ultraman."

Ryuji, Ryouko, Origami and the Major turned their attention to the source and found one of the DEM transferees leaning against a wall with a smug expression.

"And yet, you've not managed to capture/kill a single Spirit or the Ultraman." She continued. "What good is your opinion?"

"You must be the transferee." Ryuji assumed.

"Indeed." She leaned away and stood in front of them as the rest of the transferee lined up behind her. "Starting today, I'm a member of the AST. Name's Jessica Bailey. Pleased to meet you."

Ryouko gritted her teeth and glared at the woman, Origami remained stoic and Ryuji gave the woman in front of him an amuse smirk before snorting and chuckling.

"What's so funny?" Jessica dropped her smug smirk.

"I'm sorry. It's funny how desperate DEM is to the point that they sent their leftovers." Ryuji grinned, resulting Jessica to glare at him. "If I recall correctly, you are one of the top 5 strongest Wizards, yes?"

"And?"

"And your position I believe was number 3, right below the little brat name Mana Takamiya."

Jessica snapped upon hearing Mana's name, and she grabbed Ryuji's collar violently to bring him closer to her face. Despite the death glare and bloodlust she's emitting, Ryuji remained compose and smiled.

"Don't you dare utter that name-"

Ryuji retaliated by gripped her wrist tightly, making her shrieked in pain and lost her grip on his collar. The Illusion demon increased his grip, and Jessica fell on her knees in agony while the spectators could only watch in silent and flabbergasted.

"Don't get high and mighty in front me just because you're one of the top 5. You only achieved the 2nd place because that Takamiya went missing." Ryuji threatened and glared her down. "You can do as you please in the battle zone but you're a nobody in my base."

He released her, and she held her wrist to ease the pain. Ryuji walked back to the table to retrieve the report before walking away with Ryouko and Origami tailing behind.

"Is it really okay back there, sir?" Ryouko asked in worry tone.

"AST is created to protect people, not for glory or petty revenge." Ryuji stated. "Those in my squad who has yet to learn something that obvious has no place in my base. Understand?"

"Hai!" The girls replied.

"Come to think of it."

He reached his vest to bring out his box of cigarette. He observed it for awhile before tossing it into a far away dust bin.