japan

"what the fuck?" ria whined as her phone stopped working. she pressed at the screen, trying to tap a button, but it wouldn't work. "oh my days."

she rolled her eyes in frustration, watching the frozen screen, waiting for something to move. finally, the button she had spam pressed let out multiple m's from her keyboard.

"ugh. stupid piece of-" she started.

"ria!" she heard a familiar voice.

"liam!" she hugged him in the middle of the hotel lobby.

"how've you been, tiny?" he asked.

"it's a been a week since you last saw me, not much went on. but you, mr knocked verstappen out of qualifying, must be very proud of yourself." she poked him as she spoke.

he just grinned, displaying his large white teeth.

"so, we're in the same hotel?" she inquired as she took her bags to the elevator.

"yep. it's been a while since we've been allowed that. the shit we used to get up to." liam laughed, reminiscing on their younger days.

"remember that time i got drunk and accidentally banged on some random guy's door?" she cracked up.

"or that time you took robert and me with you to ding dong ditch random people?" he laughed alongside her as the lift went up.

"good times, man. we were so unserious." she said, catching her breath.

"are we on the same floor?" she said, noticing only one of the buttons was illuminated.

"looks like it. my stuff's already in my room, i got here ages ago." he told her.

the lift dinged, and the door opened. ria walked to room 2084, noticing oscar's door, room 2081, was slightly ajar. she didn't look in, but she regretted not doing so after.

"no way! you're opposite me!" he got excited, pointing between his door and hers.

"yay!" she celebrated, opening her door.

liam stayed with her as she unpacked some of her stuff, took a shower, and got ready to go out for the day. or whatever was left of the day.

they decided to go out to some of the iconic japanese landmarks, stopping in many toy shops and walking out with deep crevices in their bank accounts.

most of the next two days was also spent like that, exploring different places in the local area. she kind of missed japan, noticing how breathtaking the views and architecture was in the country.

the track was no exception. the large ferris wheel was unmissable as you entered, almost seeming to follow you around as you walked.

rain was forecast for this weekend. suzuka in the wet made for an interesting track. it always did. the bridge, the iconic turns, it made for a classic circuit.

media day was tenuous as usual, the typical reporter droning on about how red bull had dropped recently, in singapore. most eyes were focused on carlos, lando, and max, leaving ria in the lovely position to sit back and just watch the chaos occur.

for the team challenge video this week's the drivers had to decorate cakes. for mclaren's sixtieth birthday, they were decorating cakes.

ria was glad because the concentration gave her an excuse to not speak to oscar.

"alrighty, hey guys, it's ria and oscar. today we're gonna be decorating cakes for mclaren's sixtieth birthday!" she motioned to all the decorating equipment laid out on the table in front of them.