Chapter 11: Knock Knock!

The next morning, the I.M.P crew went about their routine, business as usual. Millie was in the corner, helping to mentally prepare her husband for their upcoming mission. Blitzø was in his office, talking to a new client.

Loona, however, sat at her desk, but couldn't focus on anything. She kept thinking of that huge armored demon that had Dante by the throat. Besides the fact that the creature was incredibly strong, there was something else she couldn't get out of her head.

The way that thing looked at Dante's amulet.

What did that mean?

Was that thing merely recognizing an ancient relic, or had it seen it once before?

She glanced over at Dante to see him reading an old, dusty book with his feet propped up on his desk. With how secretive he was, she wasn't sure if pressing the matter would do anything. However, the threat of death still hung over her head as well as the others. So if asking him about it got them closer to safety, then that's what she would have to do.

So she sighed to herself and got up from her desk, making her way across the office. Dante glanced up from his book and watched in amusement as she pulled up a chair next to him.

"Getting lonely?" He joked without looking up from his book.

"Yeah REAL lonely." She scoffed sarcastically with a roll of the eyes.

"I knew it." He joked, noting her sarcasm with a wink.

Her eyes fell on the chain around his neck for a few seconds as he went back to reading. Then she glanced up at Dante.

"Look..." She began in a hushed tone, checking for a second to make sure the others weren't evesdropping. "Look, I don't know what's going on with these demons, but you've gotta know SOMETHING about them."

He chuckled and shook his head. "Just the same ugly suckers I've always been fighting." he replied. "Anyone could've sent them."

"Save it." She waved it off. "I saw the way that thing looked at that amulet." she said, pointing at his chest. "So how am I supposed to know you don't have something to do with this?"

His eyes widened a bit, in surprise. He pulled out his amulet and held it in his hand, humming to himself in thought. Then, he held it up, letting it dangle from his thumb.

"THIS." he said. "Was given to me by my mother." he replied, tucking it back into his shirt. "Maybe it did see it before... but like I said before," he sighed, folding his arms. "It could've been any demon who knows about it."

She raised a brow at that.

It was just a gift?

"Getting antsy over there, huh." he said with a sly smirk. Loona looked back at him in confusion. "About the demons, I mean."

She rolled her eyes at that and leaned back in her chair with her arms folded. "Well yeah. Bunch of people trying to kill me. Believe it or not, not everyone finds that fun."

"You mean not everyone's a masochist?" He joked.

"No."

"I thought this was hell." he shrugged.

"Yeah, just not the right circle." She replied sarcastically. "Do you at least have any leads so far?"

"Not so far." He replied, "Kinda hard to shake people down from inside an office. I figured I'd just let them come to me."

"Yeah, well." She rolled her eyes, brushing her hair behind her ear. "As much as I believe in your abilities, I'd like to not take any chances."

After that, he lowered his book, staring into her eyes with a sly smirk. Loona felt herself shiver at this, and thankfully he interrupted by speaking.