Chapter 16: Whistling Past The Graveyard

Over the next two days, things were more tense than ever, but in a much different way. Still a good time, with Dante being a loveable dumbass as usual. However, Loona found it hard to maintain her composure in his presence.

Looking at the man directly brought up images of what she had seen the night before. Being at work wasn't the place to be thinking of such things, but it wasn't easy. She felt herself shiver each time he got too close. She thought for a moment that maybe being around him would help clue her into whether or not he could tell. However, still all she got was confusion.

So on top of her struggles, she didn't even have the benefit of knowing whether or not she was hiding it well.

Great...

Then one day he went and made it much worse. She was sitting at her desk, waiting for any calls. She scrolled absently through her phone, enjoying the quiet moment of mindless distraction. Then, suddenly, Dante walked back inside the office carrying a large pizza box, setting it down on a table in the middle of the room. Then grabbed himself a slice.

"Lunch is here!" he called out.

Millie poked her head out from her desk, excitedly. "Aw shit yeah!"

She quickly ran over and grabbed some, followed by Moxxie. Then Dante glanced over at Loona with a smirk and leaned against her desk.

"Hungry?" he asked.

Loona looked for a brief second, blushed, then looked back to her phone. "Uh... Nope, I'm good."

"You got something against God's favorite pie?" he joked, taking a bite.

She rolled her eyes with a slight chuckle and shook her head. "No. It's not that." she replied, her eyes falling on his face for a few seconds. Sinking into his pools of blue and melting under this smile. "Uhm... I'm just trying REALLY hard not to eat your... pizza." she replied, before clearing her throat awkwardly.

Dante chuckled and leaned forward over her desk. His face drew closer and he locked eyes with her with a devilish grin.

"Well..." he said. "You're always welcome to it."

Loona blushed and looked away bashfully.

"Yeah! uh..." she glanced over to notice Millie giving her a curious stare. "I mean. Get the fuck back to your desk. I need to... be able to hear the phone."

'Hear the phone? Are you fucking serious, Loona?' she thought to herself. 'Come on! I know I can do better than that!'

Dante held up his hands as he backed away chuckling in amusement.

"No problem." he smirked, maintaining eye contact the entire time.

He grabbed another slice of pizza before going to Blitzø's office and standing in the doorway.

"Think fast." he said nonchalantly, tossing the second slice at the Imp.

"Huh?" The Imp looked up, only for the slice to hit him in the face and land on the desk. "Oh fuck!"

"I said think FAST." he said with a chuckle.

Blitzø groaned as he wiped his face, then picked up the pizza.

"You're lucky I'm starving." he said with a groan.

Dante gave an amused chuckle and folded his arms. "So we going topside today, or what?"

"Nah, I've got too much fuckin shit to do today." Blitzø groaned, then befkre he could take a bite, he was interrupted by his cellphone ringing, so he answered with an annoyed groan. "Ugh! Hello?" Then he furrowed his brows in concern. "Stolas?"