chapter thirteen: if only

"𝕒𝕞 𝕀 𝕔𝕣𝕒𝕫𝕪, 𝕞𝕒𝕪𝕓𝕖 𝕨𝕖 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕡𝕖𝕟"

✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾

I sit there in Quinn's car as we drive back to Vancouver from the competition.

"So when do you get to start practicing with your team again?" I ask him while he focuses on the road ahead.

"I actually don't know, it's killing me not being able to play hockey. Sure watching is fun but not being able to play it is torturous." He says nervously.

"Well when you do get back to normal I'm coming to all of your games!" I smile and keep looking out the window.

"Yeah.." he responds hesitantly.

I can feel the tension in his upper body when I bring the topic up, so I drop it to avoid him being uncomfortable.

"How are things with Rachael?" I bring up the topic of her so I can try and tell him about my suspicions.

"Well, um.." he stammers trying to think of an answer. "Okay I guess, she's so obsessed with social media and stuff, like she won't even pay any attention to me."

Hm, I wonder why.

"She's been acting so weird, and I'm getting fucking tired of it." He goes on and before he says anything else he takes a deep breathe and allows me to speak.

"Ok, this might seem like a little reach, and I'm not trying to piss on her or anything.. but have you ever thought that she might be cheating..?" I say in the softest way possible trying to half break the news to him.

He frowns at my suggestion.

"How..how do you think that she would do that..?" He asks me calmly but I can tell he is a little pissed about it.

"Well- I.. uhm.. it's just you've been telling me about how she's been overprotective about her phone, and how she's stand-off ish.." I stammer on.

"No. She wouldn't cheat on me. Are you trying to gaslight me into breaking up with her?" He throws his hand up in anger.

"Quinn-" I try to explain more but he cuts me off.

"No Genevieve! She wouldn't fucking do that do me. To us. Somethings just wrong." Quinn yells. He doesn't even look at me.

"I'm sorry to like offend you but have you seriously never thought about that?!" I yell back to him. I hate it when people scream at me when I'm just suggesting something. Get a grip.

"No! I can't even believe you right now."

the car becomes silent. none of us say anything to each other. I take a look at my phone to see for how much longer I had to be in this god forsaken car.

20 minutes until your destination.

"I care about you Quinn.. I don't want to see you hurt." I say quietly but loud enough that he can hear me.

He stays silent and keeps his eyes straight. I text Kayde to let him know about this.

Gen 🤪
I brought up Rachel and how she might be cheating on Quinn.. it didn't go too well...

Kayde
Oh Jesus, what happened?

Gen 🤪
we got into a fight, he doesn't think that she would do that. It's fucken obvious right? Like come on. You don't have to be a genius to tell.

Kayde
maybe he thinks the same but is in denial.. idk..

Gen🤪
he had a whole ass outburst... Now we're just sitting here in silence for another twenty minutes until we reach the dorm. I DONT know if I can take it 🥲

Kayde
Hang in there I guess..   look I gotta go. Me n the guys are meeting up somewhere  for "team bonding" . I'll ttyl though?

Gen🤪
Yeah yeah.. have fun

—————————————————————————
"I mean what the hell? All I did was set his mind straight. He obviously wasn't thinking about reality." I say to my mom over the phone. I decided to call her when I got back to my dorm.

after Kayde and I stopped texting, we were about ten minutes away and those ten minutes felt like hours. I didn't want to be in that car any longer.

when he finally pulled up to the front door, I was relieved and quickly got my stuff . I carefully shut the door not wanting to piss him off any more and quickly walked away. I could feel him staring at me as I walk into the building.

"I know honey but you have to put yourself in his shoes. How would you react to a good friend telling you that your longtime boyfriend might be cheating on you? It's not very nice." My mom explains to me.

"He still had no right to yell at me mom! He was being a complete dick about it." I sigh and roll my eyes.

I was just trying to help him.

"I get it Genevieve but please just give him some space and time to think about it.."

"Alright, I'll talk to you later mom, I have to study for a quiz." I gather all of my books onto my desk as I speak to her.

"Alright Gen, and congratulations on the gold! Me and your dad are so proud of you. Bye."

I end the call and get studying.

I try and focus on the amino acid page that I was completing for BioChem. I just felt constantly distracted. The anger that I had against Quinn quickly turned into sadness.

No, I hadn't lost a friend. At least I hope I didn't.  I just felt pity for him.

I also felt like I wanted to be in his arms comforting him. He's home all alone right now. Or he's with his very very loyal girlfriend.

I wanted to feel his breath on my shoulders and rub shapes into his back to comfort him.

My thoughts keep spinning through my head. I had to listen to my mom though and give him some space.

i pick myself up from my desk and go to my bed to sulk and fall into a spiral of my thoughts. One specific thought always came back.

If only..

—————————————————————————-
A/N

I'm going back to school tomorrow fan, so this is probably gunna be the last chapter for at least a week while I catch up and study for my unit test in 2 days..

IM SO EXITED FOR 1989 TV THOUGH!! It's always been my fav era lol..

Anyways have a great day y'all!