chapter thirty four: lab life

"

𝕀 𝕟𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕨𝕖'𝕕 𝕙𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕒 𝕝𝕒𝕤𝕥 𝕜𝕚𝕤𝕤... 𝕀 𝕟𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕞𝕒𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕖𝕕 𝕨𝕖'𝕕 𝕖𝕟𝕕 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤..

"
✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾

Two months later

Life at work was boring, I mean what did I expect. I went to school for this; so a research position makes sense. It just gets so repetitive. I notice things that have grown, I write them down, I make a monthly report. It's getting tiring, and I've only been here for two months.

"Gen, do you have any results for the test you did a few days ago?" Says Cody, my boss.

"Erm- not yet, it's still in the incubator, I'll let you know though." I reply as I'm sitting at a lab bench writing a report. Let me tell you, it is and will never be fun. Sometimes it gets so
Boring that I doze off. I mean the laboratory is in a corner of a large, spacious building. Nobody has caught me yet.

My dream occupation is an NHL wife. I know, sounds wierd. But you can't blame me, that's every little girls dream from the start. Bringing your kids from hockey practice to their dad's game.

That could be you.. you was playing though.

I wasn't playing, I left for my own good. Thinking about Vancouver always puts me in a sad mood. Every thought that even comes close to that topic always flits over to Quinn, and I end up writing in my journal.

I'm not even joking. I've already finished a whole journal. I did promise that I would write in it whenever I think about him. I bought another one days later.

All of a sudden I hear a knock. It makes me almost jump out of my seat since I was zoning out thinking about Quinn.

"Come in." I say.

The door opens slowly, and my coworker Annie comes into the room with her lunch. We've gotten closer over the two months that I have been working here.

Annie sits down on my desk chair her red hair bounces off her shoulders.

"I'm so bored, I don't even know why I went into this field." She says as she is chewing her lunch.

"Honestly same, I fall asleep sometimes." I tell her.

She scoffs and looks at her phone, getting more comfortable in the chair.

"I hate doing these stupid reports. It feels like high school all over again, except I'm not getting graded for it." I roll my eyes and fiddle with the paper on the worktop.

Having a mouthful of food, Annie gives me a supporting nod.

I look at my watch, it was almost time for me to go home.

"I can't imaging working an early shift Gen, I mean I can't wake up that early." She lets out an awkward laugh.

"Yeah," I agree, "it's tough but getting to go home earlier is so worth it." I sign some papers that I needed to get to Cory by the end of my shift.