chapter twenty four- christmas

"𝕀 𝕕𝕠𝕟'𝕥 𝕨𝕒𝕟𝕥 𝕒 𝕝𝕠𝕥 𝕗𝕠𝕣 ℂ𝕙𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕥𝕞𝕒𝕤, 𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕛𝕦𝕤𝕥 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕀 𝕟𝕖𝕖𝕕."

✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾

My final exam went very fast. I felt like I knew what I was doing, so at the end I was very relieved  to  be done with those classes. That just made it easier for me to enjoy my Christmas at home.

We were currently sitting around the table having  dinner with my parents and siblings. I was zoned out thinking of everything that's happend.

"Gen."

"Gen?" I feel somebody rub me on the shoulder and refocus to see my mom looking at me concerned.

"Are you okay honey?" She asks me.

I look around the dinner to see Ben and Ryan looking dead in my soul.

"Oh uhm- yeah," I sputter. "Just thinking about next semester at school." My mom rubs my shoulder in a comforting way.

"It's Christmas vacation for you sweetheart," my dad speaks up. "Just enjoy your time away." I smile at him and continue to dig into my  mashed potatoes that I soaked in gravy.

"So mom and dad, I'm going down to Michigan in a few days." I bring up randomly because I hadn't told them yet.

"Oh my, that sounds cool! Do you have any friends that live down there?" My mom asks me.

The boys give each other a weird stare trying to figure out why I would be going to Michigan of all places.

"Yeah I met someone in B.C. and he invited me down to his parents lake house for a few weeks." I explain.

My dad stops chewing and raises an eyebrow.

"Is this man your boyfriend?" He asks me with his mouth full of food.

"No, dad he's not my boyfriend."

I wish he was though.

"Hes totally your boyfriend, Genny.. you really thought you could fake it." Ben says and laughs at me and whispers something incoherent to Ryan.

"You guys can think what you want to think but he's just my friend."

You sleep with your friend? That's um- cool. I guess that's what "normal friends" do.

"I believe you." My mom speaks up.

She leans in to whisper to me while the boys and dad talk about football and stuff I couldn't give two shits about.

"The friend is Quinn right? The one with the possible cheating girlfriend?" My mom whispers to me.

"Well turns out she was.. they broke up a while ago.." I reply to her.

"So are you guys just friends or more than friends? I can tell you are lying Genevieve." She gives me a confirming look.

"Maybe, but I don't know if we are going anywhere, we've been hanging out a lot and he hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend."  I get sad thinking about it. I just want to be with him so bad. Desperation is my weakness.

"Come on, we'll finish this conversation while we do the dishes." She leads me out of my chair and into the kitchen that's a few steps away and turns on the sink.

I get up and take my dirty dishes from the decorated table and follow my mom into the kitchen.

"Do you think he will ask you at this so called lake house?" She asks me suspiciously.