chapter thirty- solemn

" 𝕀 𝕥𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕀 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕪 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕘𝕚𝕣𝕝.."

✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾      ✾ ✾ ✾
Gen

Ive been at the Hughes' lake house for a few days
now, it's been an okay experience.

Pettiness has taken over my life. I haven't talked to Quinn much. I've told Jack all about it. I feel like I can talk to him, like he understands where I'm coming from.

Ellen and Jim were away at the moment, out of the house.  It was just their kids and I until tonight.

"Hey Gen," Jack comes up to me as I'm on the living room couch scrolling TikTok on my phone. "How are things?" He asks.

"Meh, I feel like I want to talk to Quinn because he's in the same god damn house." I frown and lose all my thoughts when I look at the  freshly snow covered lake.

"I don't know what's up with him," Jack brings me back into the conversation, "he seems off. Like not himself." He plops himself on the couch and sits cross legged.

"You're right." I sigh.

"I'm not saying you have to talk to him about your situation, but he may just want to talk about the stuff that's going on." Jack looks at me and damn, his eyes..

"Maybe I will.." I check the time in my phone.

"I came over to tell you that my Mom is having a New Year's party," he smiles, "maybe you can meet a few people."

Wow okay, a party

I have never been the most social person. Small talk is my ENEMY.  We don't go well together. New people don't freak me out, it's just having to keep up the awkward conversation.

"Sounds fun.. I might lay low though. Parties aren't my thing." I laugh awkwardly.

"Just wanted to let you know." Jack explains. "You can meet a few of his friends too."

I nod and right at that moment, Luke barges through the door, all sweaty and wet.

Both Jack and I look over at the sudden noise. "Isn't it too cold to run?" Jack asks.

"Nah, it's not that bad. You can just wear warm pants and it's all good." Luke answers.

He looks over my way. "Hey Gen." He smiles at me.

"Hey," I greet the blonde. "Hungry?"

"A little bit." He responds. 

"I can make you something," Jack perks his head up at my suggestion, "Bacon and eggs? Waffles?" I ask the boys.

"Bacon and Eggs please!" Luke excitedly answers me.

"Aw, I wanted waffles." Jack frowns.

I laugh at his sadness, "I can make you waffles tomorrow morning." I make it up to him.

"Well I'm going to take a shower, will it be done by the time I'm done?" Luke asks me.

"Might be,  give me at least ten minutes." I reply.