Last Work Day- 4

The only people remaining are a few family members so it's safe to assume the barbecue's over. I grab some food and a drink and go up to my room. When I open the door I see Aleister reading one of my books. He startles me at first. I quietly set my food down. He is fully changed and I notice the clothes I leant him are folded on my drawer.

"What book is that?" I question leaning against my door way.

I think I scared him because he jumps, "Oh shit."

I can't help but laugh at the scene playing in front of me.

"It's not funny," he says but a smile plays at his lips. "But uh, it's Life of Pi. I've seen the movie but I've never read the book. Is it good?"

I nod my head without saying anything but I walk closer. We're at normal speaking distance now. "If you want," I hesitate. Am I really about to do this? "You can borrow the book and give it back after you're finished." I can't believe I said that. That's a line I use on everyone who's into books just so I get another chance to see that person. And I used that line on my mom's boss.

He looks up at me with glimmering eyes but they quickly shine out, "I couldn't. I'd be too afraid to ruin it or something. And I've got so much work it'd take ages for me just to finish it."

I shake my head, "It's fine. I've read it a couple times now and I don't really care what happens to it."

His eyebrows lift up in question, "Really?"

"Yeah, really."

Aleister looks at his watch. "Fuck I've got to go. Can we exchange numbers so I can tell you when I'll be giving your book back?"

"Yeah, here," I pull out my phone and unlock it and he does the same. I enter my number into his phone and Aleister enters his into mine.

As soon as this process is over he's out the door. I can hear him wishing Mom a goodnight and then I hear the door slam.

This has been a pretty successful day if I do say so myself.

Fuck I forgot ketchup.

I go downstairs to get my condiment when I overhear my aunt saying something to my mom.

"He was really cute, I think he's totally into you. You guys need to hookup."

"Susan, no, I mean, yes he is fairly attractive and a very nice gentlemen but I feel too old."

Ha, Susan. I always laugh at my aunt's name. Like Susan is such a typical aunt name. I bud into the sister's conversation. "Are we talking about Aleister?"

My mom speaks first, "How do you even know his first name?"

I hop up into the counter eating some grapes near by. Popping one into my mouth I reply without answering her question, "So we are talking about him."

My aunt, however is the one to push me out of the conversation. "No, 'we' aren't. Goodbye Nate." I narrow my eyes at her before taking one last plump green grape.

~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\

"I only love it when you touch me, not feel me. When I'm fucked up, that's the real me. When I'm fucked up, that's the real me, babe," I sing along to The Weeknd's The Hills.

"Language," my mom says.

I dramatically roll my eyes at her.

"I'm so glad this is the last day I have to spent at work with you. By the way, it's Friday night meaning I probably won't be coming home tonight."

My mom looks at me threatening.

I hold my hands up in surrender position, "I'm telling you like it is. I most likely will not be home tonight. Would you like me to lie to you?"

She rubs her forehead, "No, but, I just wish you'd stay home for once."

I answer, "But I'm young and I need to live life to the fullest."

She doesn't respond which represents that this conversation is officially over with. For now. Knowing her, she'll bring it up at a random time.

We arrive at Blackwell and Associates and go up to my mom's office.

"I want to show you something Nate," my mom says. I walk over to her desk and she pulls out this file.

She reads it out loud to me, "Jacob Erns, 19, OD'd after taking too many drugs. Nate honey, he's only 2 years older than you. I know you make think 'Oh this won't happen to me' but it can."

I'm not really taking what my mom is saying to heart but she's worried so I'm going to pretend to care. "Mom, I know it can. I don't do things too stupid. I'm smarter than I look and I know if I'm ever in trouble I have reliable friends and 911 is only 3 taps away on my phone. I swear, I'm safe." She nods.

I go sit down in a chair and open my phone. I get a text.

Bianca: Heyyy
Me: Hey
Bianca: When are you coming back to school. We all miss you. Especially me ;)

Bianca's one of my flings that's on going. Speaking of flings, I haven't got laid in a while. Might as well flirt to see where this leads.

Me: Oh yeah? What do you miss most about me?
Bianca: Why don't you come to A.J.'s party tonight and I can tell you in person.
Me: I will most definitely be there.

~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\

I get woken up to a slap to the face. What the hell? I open my eyes fully to see that I'm in a jail cell.

Wait what?

0 to 100 real quick.

Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me. I see Bianca next to me.

"Sorry for slapping you, you just wouldn't wake up," she said nimbly.

"What the hell happened?" I asked.

She looks up, "You mean you don't remember?"

"All I remember is arriving at the party, having some shots, and that's it," I say thinking back to the events.

I observe the cell we're in and see some other kids that I faintly remember from the party.

Bianca goes on to explain what happened, "Well we were drinking and taking pills but I guess we got too loud and the cops were called. They arrested a lot of us for underage drinking and drug possession. You fell asleep as soon as they threw you in here."

What? I'm trying to wrap my head around this. This would be the second time something like this has happened but Mom was so pissed the first time. God I can't call her.

A police officer comes up to the cell bars, "Would one of you like to call your parents to see if they can bail you out?" I hesitantly raise my hand. The officer motions for me to come over.

Once I get to the phone I enter in the memorized number.

"Hello?" Aleister's voice on the other line groggily picks up.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
(A/N) little bit of cliff hanger huh? I'm actually really proud of this book but it's 7 am and I haven't gotten any sleep so night, morning, mid day, quanza, Easter, Fourth of July, or whenever you're reading this.

SHALOM!!!!

Vote? Comment? Share? Maybe? Call me? T H E V O I D

I need to go to sleep haha

-Emily