52.- Deserved justice, different sentences

"Hereby, to you, your first sentence will be lifted." The blue fox's eyes widened in surprise, he couldn't believe it. "I refer to the evidence. Your record will be clean, you'll be able to continue being a police officer and the restraining order imposed on the minor will be withdrawn." With her usual and formal tone of voice, Wolov finished reading the sentence, at least for Vol.

The joy in the fox, after listening to the carcajou, was so big he couldn't contain it in his body. Although he maintained his composure, his smile grew wider, feeling like a great weight was lifted from his shoulders. He turned his head enough to see his companions and the young kangaroo out of the corner of his eye. As he expected, everyone was happy for him. He could see his bunny friend with a happy face, a small smile that overflowed with joy. He spotted the typical smile with half-closed eyes of his counterpart, it was unmistakable, after all, he almost always had that expression. But, when he saw Ryan, he felt immense joy inside. Just seeing the big smile that appeared on the kangaroo's mouth made him feel glad that everything ended well for him. He felt that the end of suffering had arrived... but someone disagreed.

Gloria Clinton stood up to protest the sentence. Her face was very noticeably angry, imposing, fearsome. The hippopotamus no longer saw the point in acting like the one she always showed in front of the cameras. She now lost her temper. "Is this a joke?! He kidnapped my son, convinced him to stay, he was going against me the whole time! And you let him leave just like that?!" As she screamed, she took a step forward to the stand. "You do more favors to a fox who came from another world than to someone who has lived their entire life in Zootopia! This is unfair, you should thank me for what I've done for this city with my taxes! I've done more than that damn blue fox!"

Even with such words, the judge remained impassive and she continued with the part of the sentence that was missing. "I haven't finished reading the entire verdict yet, Mrs. Clinton, but you're making it easy for me." Faced with Wolov's attitude, the hippopotamus took a step back. "You have just demonstrated unacceptable hatred towards a mammal from outside Zootopia. I will add that to the sentence as a hate crime. Now, what you will receive immediately is a thorough investigation of your accounts to take an in-depth look at each and every transfer. The adoption of Ryan Taylor will be withdrawn and you'll be forbidden from future adoption. You will go to jail for two years for child abuse, to which possible future sentences can be added if we find any more illegality. In addition to a sentence for a hate crime, which consists of an additional year in prison and a fine for his attitude towards Mr. Jimenez."

Now, the always bully hippopotamus was stunned. She partially believed that she'd get away with it, but everything went against her and now she would face a heavy penalty for all of her actions and what remained to discover. "Y-You... You can't do that... I'm famous and rich. You can't do this to me!" She screamed in desperation.

The judge took the gavel to strike. "This sentence will take effect from now on. Case closed." Afterwards, she struck with it to make her final order. "Officers, you can take her away."

Gloria looked at the approaching police officers, not sure what to do. She lost everything in the blink of an eye and now she'll face a long time in the dark. She just stood still, waiting for the inevitable, although the officers didn't come any closer. The one who did it was Vol.

With his composure and a serious attitude, the blue fox decided to speak to her with his paws behind his back, showing that he didn't want any violence. "It's over, Gloria. All those mammals that you made suffer are now free from you. Including Ryan... and I couldn't be happier for him." He turned his head for a moment to look at him out of the corner of his eye, turning it again to look at the hippopotamus. "Goodbye, Gloria."

After the speech, he turned around. Anger began to spread in Gloria Clinton's body and she squeezed her hoof. In an instant she took a couple of steps forward, fist loaded, towards Vol.