30.- Good and bad news

Nick and Judy were with Balto, talking about a rather special topic. Balto Lestrada himself called them to talk, letting them know his future plan while Sophie was in jail. Clearly the wolf wasn't into luxuries, he maintained the country essence even though he had money to live in a chalet or some apartment, but his decision was to live in nature. The conversation was going in a good tone, catching the policemammals by surprise.

"Will you really try it? It'll be quite difficult." Judy commented and Balto smiled.

"I'm looking for a challenge and I hope I'll reach the end. I'm sure I'll be able to do it."

"You'll need more than will if you want to achieve it." The fox taunted the wolf, but he just looked at him out of the corner of his eye.

"I sure have more will than you." Balto said jokingly.

"Hey! With my will I became a cop."

"With will and my help." Judy wanted to seize the moment by laughing afterwards.

"You've taken advantage, Carrots, that's not fair!" The atmosphere has already become quite positive.

The rabbit turned to the wolf. "Hey, Balto, will they give you a place to live? It's very dangerous to live on the street if you're going to take that path in life."

Balto stopped smiling for a moment. "When the time comes, I'll look at the options. For now, I just have to sign up."

"I think we can accompany you." Nick offered, but Balto shook his head.

"Thank you, but I prefer to go alone."

"It's your decision. If anything happens, don't hesitate to call us." The little policemammal got up.

"Will do." The wolf showed a smile.

When they got into the car, after parting with Balto, Judy's cell phone rang, answering as she realized she was getting called.

"Yes?" She put her free paw to her mouth. "Oh no... I understand... We'll go there whenever we can..." She hung up the call and lowered her head, which surprised Nick.

"Hey Carrots, what's wrong?" He lifted her head with a finger under her lower jaw.

"It was from the hospital... Turns out that..."

Returning to the alley, Vol found himself trapped between the giant horse and the closed street, he had no escape. He got up and prepared for what was coming, thinking "If I'm going to die, let it be fighting." Just as he raised one of his fists, still covering his neck with the other paw. Lewis walked over slowly, reaching into his jacket pocket. Thinking it was a weapon, Vol trembled a little and lowered his arm, stepping back like a scared and frightened cat. What the equine pulled out was very different: He gave the fox a card with the phone number of the place.

"If you want to know the status of the panther, I thought to give you the number. Call whenever you're able, remember it cannot be in public or... you know." Vol nodded slightly, swallowing hard. The fox took the card and Lewis left as he came, to the surprise of that fearful vulpine. He breathed with a sigh of relief, calming himself in the process and preparing to leave. He read the card and the number was written on it, a number he would dial later for the investigation. He pocketed the card and left the alley, still covering his neck so no one would identify the blue fox, now orange, since it'd be a problem for him to hide in the future. He ran to the ZPD, trying to find his companions, but they were still not there.

"Weird... They haven't come yet. Will be safer if I wait to use their cell phones, rather than the ones at the police station."

He sat on one of the benches in that ZPD that seemed to be empty, as if a hurricane had passed. He only heard silence, which was very rare in that always busy place, not a soul could be heard and the fox missed that, there was always noise and conversations and now there was nothing, starting to make him feel uncomfortable. He finally chose what to do. He went to the computer room, so he'd clear up the case. When he got to the door, he heard some movement inside, which made him smile, opening it later to find Clawhauser with Ryan in front of the computers.