23.- Unexpected actions from a desperate

"Well... Vol, I was never controlled by the one who convinced us, I pretended it to escape from my adoptive mother. He never knew that I was controlled and told us to steal what we could from mammals. He was someone strange, he focused a lot in mentally manipulating all of us children to steal without feeling guilt. We received constant control, on the one hand, the headphones, on the other hand, his words. Still, I could ignore his attempts to control me, I could pretend that he did so and have full control over my moves, to the point that I didn't steal anything."

Vol was shocked at the plea that he wasn't guilty of such thefts. "But... I caught you stealing from that innocent mammal, how did you not steal?"

Ryan showed a smile. "It's true that I took his wallet, but what I usually did was take the content and falsify it, making it look real so I could give it to that stranger who took us. I got it thanks to a weasel who helped me, in exchange for some jobs for some of the mammals. The ones he owed money for. Then I'd give back the wallet and the contents, even the electronic devices, without them knowing."

"It was Duke Weaselton..." Vol thought and looked back at Ryan. "It's not that I don't trust you but... how can you prove that what you did was just as you say?"

Ryan pulled out one of the saved copies. "Ticket with serial number, it isn't real, we can find who I 'stole' from and see how it matches. The serial number is individual for each ticket, so there will only be one."

Vol looked at him directly and showed a genuine smile after seeing it, tilting his head, relaxed and with the upper lids down. He trusted what the kangaroo was telling him. "I don't need more proof, Ryan, I believe you." He sighed happily and looked to the front. "Actually, you're very nice, I like you."

Ryan's face lit up with happiness at the statement of the fox. "Really?" Vol nodded, with a grin. "I-I like you... as well." He said, laughing embarrassed, making Vol giggle. They both were enjoying the atmosphere and the conversations when Judy came up from behind them while they were sitting on the bench.

"Looks like you guys are having a good time."

Vol jumped in fright. "Hey! You scared me!" The fox chuckled upon knowing who it was.

"Sorry, you seemed vulnerable." Judy giggled mischievously at the reaction of his partner.

"What brings you here?" Vol asked, looking at her and tilting his head, curious about her presence.

"I was coming back from a commission from Bogo and I saw you in the park. I wanted to see what you were doing, and I see you're enjoying a good time here."

"Yeah, Ryan wanted to hang out, we told Bogo and he convinced him. Oh! By the way..." He turned to Ryan. "This is the rabbit that helped me."

"H-Hi..." Ryan replied in a shy low voice and didn't look at Judy out of embarrassment.

Judy raised her paw as a greeting and waved. "Hello... Ryan? Is that your name?"

"That's right, it seems that he has to gain confidence to speak to you." The fox smiled when he responded to his partner.

"Hey, can we talk privately for a moment?" The rabbit asked, to which Vol nodded, turning to the kangaroo for a moment.

"Ryan, wait here, we'll be back in a moment." He responded by nodding, implying that he got the message. Then they walked out of the park, far enough to not be heard, but keeping an eye on the marsupial. "What's wrong, Judy?"

"I've seen that you're fraternizing with that young one. He trusts you a lot." The bunny's smile appeared, she liked the closeness and goodness of those she appreciated.