17.- Never give up

Years ago, in the world of Vol...

Vol was heading home after having a hard time at school, in his earliest childhood, when he was 10 years old. He returned sad and with a face that indicated that he was already very tired of everything. Again and again they abused him just for his appearance, he was beaten almost daily, his parents didn't know what to do, they always found him injured in one way or another and they tried everything. Vol just wanted the torture to end. As he went back home from school, he entered the house and went to his room, crestfallen and bruised again. Vol's parents, Ferdinand and Patsy, two foxes of a certain age and experience, noticed how he was and went to his room to talk. Ferdinand walked in and sat alongside the toddler while Patsy just watched from the door. The old male fox, same as his wife, was orange, nothing to do with their son. He didn't have a tuft of hair and was wearing a white shirt with buttons and rolled up sleeves and long jeans. The female had curly hair on the top, the same color as her whole body, was wearing glasses, a yellow tank top and short black pants.

"Son, what happened?" His father asked.

Vol looked at him with tears in his eyes. "Every day the same thing, I'm fed up, why do I suffer this? I'm different and weird..."

"You may not be like us or them, but that makes you more special, remember that little one." Ferdinand put his paw on the head of the hurt little blue fox.

"Special... to get more beatings? Is that what I'm good for? Nothing else?" His face showed anger and sadness together as he spoke.

"You're worth much more, it's true that this is horrible to bear, but in the future, you'll see that you managed to overcome this great obstacle. You can and you will, because you're strong."

"I'm not... I don't want any more of this." The desperation showed up in his face because of what he was experiencing all the time.

"Vol..." He grabbed him lightly by the shoulders and looked directly at him. "Look at me in the eyes." Vol stared at his father. "You're strong, my son, wherever you go, we'll always be with you. It's forbidden to surrender, remember, if you surrender, no one can help you, if you keep fighting, you'll find the best. Go on and never give up... Do it for yourself and for us, our emotional little blue fox." The older fox's words penetrated his brain.

After his intervention, Vol rubbed his nose and had a more determined look. "I'll never give up."

In the present...

Judy was all in tears as she stood next to his partner lying on the ground. "Don't leave us, Vol... Stay with us, please... Open your eyes!"

Vol slowly woke up opening his eyes and spoke in a weak voice. "J-Judy...? N-Nick...?" They both widened their eyes in surprise and joy.

"You've awakened!" Judy didn't wait and hugged the fox that, a short time ago, was unconscious.

The blue fox groaned a little in pain as the rabbit hugged him. "I'm glad to see you too but... don't squeeze me too much because... my right arm hurts." He smiled.

The hug stopped as soon as his partner mentioned it. "Sorry, sorry." She wiped away her tears and showed a smile.

"We thought you were... you know..." The orange vulpine was still in shock, he didn't even show a smile.

"Something as simple... as a bad... run over?" Vol was still dazed and weak but he was smiling, getting up the best he could from the ground, helped by Judy.