8.- The beginning

After sleeping soundly, the alarm rang for Judy and Nick. The rabbit got up before her partner, rubbing her eyes with some drowsiness and dressed in blue pajamas with little carrots. After getting up, he went to the living room where Vol slept to see how he was after his night and, to the surprise of the little Judy, he wasn't on the sofa where he was sleeping. The blanket that covered him was simply wrinkled, as if he left quickly from the place.

Judy opened her eyes in surprise and went crestfallen. "He's gone?" She couldn't think of him leaving after the attitude they showed towards that fox.

Nick appeared on the scene sleepy, but noticed that his partner was sad. He quickly saw that Vol was gone and put his paw on the small gray-haired girl's shoulder. "These things can happen, Carrots, I also had confidence in him." The disappointment in his voice didn't go unnoticed, thinking he could have judged that fox in the wrong way.

"But it seems like he just left... I thought he liked us." The bunny sighed with a decayed mood and put her paws on her chest.

"Maybe he just was-" Before Nick finished his sentence, a pleasant smell accompanied by a slight noise alerted him. "Do you smell something?"

Judy sniffed with her pink nose closing her eyes, trying to identify what the smell was. "Yes, it smells delicious... It's coming from the kitchen."

The two went to where the smell came from. They were surprised to find Vol was preparing breakfast, his back to them and humming a song while preparing their first meal of the day.

The blue fox looked at them with a smile as he turned around. "Did you finally wake up?" He laughed out loud. "I thought that I should prepare breakfast after how good you were towards me."

Judy looked at him, surprised and with her eyes wide open. "We thought you... left." She felt bad after mentioning the doubts that arose about the guest.

"If I'd had left, I'd have said something or left a note," he still didn't lose the smile he had, "Besides, why would I leave from where I've received so much love?" He winked at both of them and continued making breakfast. "Have a seat, don't worry, I'll serve you breakfast in a bit."

Both Nick and Judy sat at the table in that kitchen, which, although not very large, was very well decorated when talking about the tiles, some with flowers and simply colorful on a yellow background. As it was still early in the morning, the light was on, which enhanced the colors and gave a beautiful intensity to the lighting of the place. The kitchen was filled with the smell of coffee and a light touch of toast, with something that seemed to be fruit. Both Judy and Nick were beginning to feel hungry from those scents, seemingly tasty, that the bluish fox was preparing.

Finally, Vol put out everything except a fire he had left to continue doing something else. He took the tray and served the coffee to both mammals that waited, who looked at him with a certain shock and stun. They didn't know how to respond to the situation before them.

"A good breakfast: Coffee and some toast for the hosts. And that's not all, I'm preparing a jam that my mother taught me when I lived back in my world." He smiled and went back to the counter to finish the product he was making.

"Well, what a twist of fate... We thought he left and look, he prepared an incredible and good-smelling breakfast for us." A somewhat playful fox said quietly to his companion.

"Honestly, I feel terrible about what I thought about him." Judy looked down embarrassed, thinking about what happened.

Vol overheard them while he kept on preparing the last thing to complete the display. "Judy, don't feel bad, I fully understand that you suspected it, after all, I'm a stranger." He stopped stirring for a moment, lowering his head, but raised it again and turned to the table. "But I can assure you that I wouldn't be able to do that. Don't feel embarrassed, I didn't take it badly." He smiled warmly at the rabbit who, seeing the fox's reaction, got in a better mood, showing her smile.

After a few minutes preparing the jam, Vol turned off the fire and took a container to store it. He served the container on the table, the jam having a dark reddish tone, but it looked very tasty, which would complement their breakfast.

Vol offered to serve them. "Do you want some on the toast?" The two answered positively, after which Vol spread the jam. The texture looked sticky but not too much, just enough to keep it spread. After that, they both took a bite of it and savored the blue fox's culinary recipe with expressions of pleasure. Their papillae got filled by a fresh, fruity, sweet and soft sensation. It couldn't taste better.

"This is delicious!" The rabbit's eyes sparkled, feeling that she just tried the best compliment ever existed. "What is this jam made of?"

Vol answered with a smile. "Berries, which include blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and red currants. It's a sweet jam with a lot of flavor, perfect flavoring for breakfast."

After hearing his tenant's speech, Nick raised an eyebrow. "You look like you were trying to sell the product to us." He laughed after teasing him. "Maybe you're meant for being a salesman instead of a cop."

Vol laughed at Nick's words. "I wasn't born for that, maybe for many other things, yes, but not for that." There was laughter from his hosts as well. It was a good morning after all between jokes and breakfast, with someone else among them who seemed to be very reliable.

Vol went to prepare himself at the surprised look from the fox and the bunny, who saw that he didn't take breakfast, not even a sip from a cup of coffee or a bite of the toast.

Judy had doubts why he didn't take anything. "You don't take breakfast?" She tilted her head.

Vol turned and smiled. "Oh, I already had breakfast before preparing yours... Yes, I woke up early enough to be able to do everything on time."

"Seems that you're organized, something rare in a fox, along with culinary knowledge." Nick scoffed at the guest with his typical expression, smiling.

Vol laughed, following the joke. "What part of me is normal? Different fur, culinary knowledge and organization... I don't think I look like a fox at all." Anyone could tell he was in a very good mood. Those mammals that took him gave him happiness and company, something he was missing after some time alone.

After talking, everyone went to prepare to face the day that awaited them: The fox and the bunny, to work, the new one, to sign up to be a cop and a psychologist session in the afternoon. Vol felt that he finally found a home, a place with love everywhere. The question was whether this fox from another place was prepared to face what it would be like to work in the ZPD, with its risk and difficulty in making decisions. His mind is fragile, but he has been through many things to fall apart at the first challenge. Only the future will tell if he is ready for it and if he can leave his demons hidden in a titanium cage, fight his fears and face what has yet to come. The day began, a day like any other for Nick, Judy and someone else... but for Vol a new life had begun in which he would try to find his place once and for all and show that he's worthy enough.