26.- Old acquaintances

As they took the car, the three cops headed to the Rainforest District in search of the suspect of kidnapping children and mind-controlling them, the one who kept Ryan with him for some undetermined time.

Arriving at the place, they got out of the car in search of the minors, attentive in case they saw the criminal. They looked from side to side but there didn't seem to be a trace of children anywhere.

"He should be around here, pay attention." Vol warned.

"At the slightest suspicion, report it." The two foxes nodded at the rabbit's words, ready for any trouble.

They walked together for a long time, looking everywhere. There was no sign of him, just trees, clouds threatening to rain and animals in their habitat, nothing out of the ordinary. Nick looked at the ground for a moment and found a clue, picking it up.

"I found something: A bracelet from a little girl named... Kate."

Judy checked the proof further, finding a rodent's hair. "This girl is a small rodent, I'd say a possum."

Vol had a flashback when he saw the hair. "That hair... It belongs to the possum from that time! I remember it perfectly."

Judy turned around at her partner's affirmation. "The possum that got lost and that we helped reunite with her mother?" The blue fox nodded. "Can you know who she is if you see her?"

The vulpine had another idea. "Judy, I have a strong sense of smell, like all foxes, I can find her with that."

"Excuse her, she's forgetful." Nick smiled, seeking to provoke her. She answered with a light punch on her shoulder.

"I see you don't learn, huh, you dumb fox?" Judy smiled.

"If you're the teacher, I won't learn." The fox continued with his mocking smile.

Vol just laughed. "You love each other a lot, as if it wasn't clear enough, don't try to hide it."

"Shut up!" They snapped at the blue fox in unison jokingly, something that only made him laugh more.

Vol traced the scent of the bracelet with the powerful sense he has. He led his companions like a bloodhound to where the trail seemed to go, reaching a clearing. There were children playing there, which could be normal, but a slight detail changed the normality: There were species that didn't live in their environment, they were animals that were better off in a dry or snowy environment, depending on the type of animal. He looked up. "I knew it... If you want to hide something, do it in plain sight. This is his house, the place where he uses all the children... No one noticed the species that aren't native to the Rainforest District. "

"It's time to get him, are you two ready?" Nick asked, to which Vol and Judy nodded. "Okay, so we'll go cautiously into the house."

The rabbit stopped him for a moment. "Wait. Let's not rush, I'm sure he'll have something prepared, he won't be such a fool. You have to remember that he has a high IQ, at least according to what was written on his record." Her companion thought for a moment on the subject.

"You're right, Carrots. How are we going to deal with this situation?"

Given the impossibility of an idea, Judy proposed what they should do. "I have an idea, guys. Let's ring him and have him answer some questions."

"But he'll find out if we ask him about this case." Nick was hesitant, but Judy smiled.

"We won't exactly ask him about this case. We'll try to question him about another case."

Vol lowered his head thoughtfully and spoke. "The case of Gloria Clinton."

The little mammal nodded. "Indeed. We won't mention Ryan, but we'll ask if he knows anything about her to take her down. We kill two birds with one stone: We find out about him and, also, we can find out about that woman."