53.- Decisions and future changes

Vol took the decision, still blushing, to say it once and for all. "I want to... foster you and even... uhm... adopt you later."

Although what the blue fox said could be obvious from the time the two have spent together, his companions looked at him when he finished. They saw what he wanted and that he was determined, a decision that he already saw when he wanted to be a police officer.

Ryan opened his eyes in surprise, because he wasn't expecting it. "A-Are you sure? I-I... I want to be with you, Vol, b-but only if you want to." Uneasily and trembling slightly, the kangaroo responded to the proposition. He could be nervous, but happiness was beginning to grow up inside him, a warm feeling, with his heart beating fast.

Vol nodded. "I couldn't be more sure, Ryan, I said I wanted to give you a good life and... well, I thought about it all this time." He let out an embarrassed laugh. "And I want to take you in so that you can become... my son." He blushed as he said the last word, something that came straight from inside him.

Ryan then looked down smiling, wanting to accept, but embarrassed to say it. At that moment, Nick decided to speak up. "You're both so sure and also embarrassed, it's clear that you're two peas in a pot." With his humor, he wanted to defuse the situation.

They both laughed at Nick's joke, it was something that helped them both. When Ryan felt more comfortable, he decided to respond. "I-I agree to be fostered and adopted by you, V-Vol." His voice was still a little shaky, but a weight was already lifted from his shoulders.

The blue fox raised his head and smiled widely at the marsupial's words. "Then I'll do my best for you, take it for sure!"

Now that the nerves in both mammals had subsided after the confession, they began to talk more casually, happily, and laughing at some of the jokes they made among themselves, under the gaze of the orphanage caretakers.

"And... are you comfortable?" Vol asked with some concern.

Ryan nodded and showed a smile. "Yeah! "They treat me very well, they ask me questions and they're attentive to me and others."

"I'm very glad that you feel comfortable here. I just hope I can match it." His laughter was present.

The kangaroo, noticing certain doubts, hurried to answer. "You helped me get out of there and you've always been attentive to me. That's why I've decided that I want to live with you." He smiled after the statement, feeling like it was what he needed to be said.

"The doubts you have, bluish. I thought you already had it figured out." Nick mocked Vol's attitude.

"Hey, I'm sure about it!" The blue fox fell for the joke and sighed. "Anyway, I'm not interested in what you say." He turned to Ryan, now smiling. The laughter of his companions appeared after seeing how Vol acted. "I hope you continue to be happy here, if you have any problems, you know you can call me." Suddenly, he realized something. "Oh, right, I didn't give you my phone number."

"I'm saving it!" Ryan, effusively, took out his cell phone and wrote down Vol's number, now finally having contact with the mammal he most appreciated.

The time kept passing by, the four mammals talking calmly, telling some vivid stories and letting it all flow. The atmosphere was very positive and spirits were high. Something too extreme would have to happen to bring them down from that cloud.

After realizing the time, they decided it was time to move.

"It was nice talking to you in a less restrictive environment." Judy said, with a genuine feeling of warmth and happiness, smiling.

"Even if it's only been a couple of hours." Nick's mocking tone was always noticeable. "But I'm glad to talk to you, lad."

Ryan nodded, smiling and looking at them both. "Thank you, I really like being with you too." Then he looked at the blue fox. "And with you, of course."