3.- Truth or lie?

Vol inhaled air before telling the story of his origin.

"I come from another world, it is also full of animals... but they're much more different from each other. My life was never the best, due to constant scorn from my brothers. I took the decision to leave forever from the house, missing my parents, who gave everything for me. My sister was the only one who treated me less harshly, she only did it to follow the crew, she told me that... I wandered the streets every day until that..." He sighs deeply. "I was sucked into some kind of hole... I didn't see anything and when I wanted to realize it, I was in this city... I decided to hide from everyone's sights because of my rarity as a species. But I always had a great sense of justice and I decided to do my best for it." His story ends and Nick and Judy looked at each other strangely and proceeded to talk to each other, reclining their bodies slightly.

"Do you believe him, carrots?" Nick asked dubiously, putting the palm of his paw in front of his muzzle to talk to his partner in low voice.

"I'm not saying it's a lie but it seems very unreal, implausible." The rabbit scratched her chin thinking about the story. They decided to turn to talk more with the new fox, the one that looked like it wasn't from Zootopia and had both police officers in doubt.

Judy became curious about one detail. "But how do you know this world and us?" She tilted her head, pulling her tiny body forward on the table.

"Well..." Vol was going to continue when a Scandinavian wolf entered the scene, dressed as a soldier with the rank of colonel, carefully opening the door, strange for someone who was breaking into the place.

"The case of a fox different from the entire population of Zootopia has reached my ears, is that true?" The wolf's voice was slightly low, with a British and imposing tone. Eyes half-closed and serious expression. His demeanor honored his rank, he had his paws on his back out of respect, his clothing was the one of his rank, and he seemed to be recognized in the city by law enforcement.

Judy introduced Vol as the canine mentioned the subject, pointing with the palm of her paw. "It's him, why all the fuss, sir...?"

"You may call me Colonel Odin Harou. We've come to make tests and check his record, regardless of whether his story is true or false." Although it may not seem like it, the wolf listened to the story and seemed very determined to discover the truth behind all the confusing situation presented.

Vol sighed, rising to his feet and looking up at the colonel. "Okay... If I have to go, I'll go... Where should I go?"

Odin called his companions to escort the fox. "Zere Vaaranen, Texsly Connor, show him the way." The colonel turned as a raccoon and a white wolf escorted the fox. They were both wearing the same type of clothing. They entered ready to guide the confused fox to where the Scandinavian wolf wanted.

"This way." Zere said to Vol, showing him the way.

The military took him away and mounted him in the military vehicle, leaving the stunned pair of policemen behind. All this caught them by surprise, first Vol and his fantasy origin and then the entrance of the military to take the blue fox to do some tests and check if what he said was true.

"This was a real surprise." Nick couldn't contain himself and laughed at the situation.

Judy crossed her arms and threw her head back. "Could this day be even weirder? I literally didn't come to terms with the suspect named Vol and the military comes and takes him away." She sighed. "I don't understand any of this."

Nick just shrugged. "Keep in mind that it's our case, carrots, that fox will come back after the tests to continue questioning him."

Judy had a lucid moment and reviewed the case once more, pulling her body closer to the table and checking again the documentation. "What if we're making a mistake, Nick?"

"What do you mean?" The fox still didn't understand at all, he tilted his head thinking about the question of his partner.

The bunny pulled out a couple of papers. "According to records of the robbery, the thief took an enormous amount of precious stones. If it had been Vol..."

"We'd have seen them as soon as he entered." Nick helped complete the sentence.

"Bingo! We have to check the place once more before the suspect returns. Let's go back to the crime scene." With decision in her small body, Judy wanted to re-investigate the place, looking for some more clues. She got down from the chair and went to the door, ready for everything.

Nick smiled and took the opportunity to mock his partner. "A lot of energy in such a small body. Are you sure you don't have an emergency compartment in your body that gives you adrenaline?"

"Shut your snout, slacker, I know you're pretty lazy, even more than Flash." The rabbit returned the joke to her workmate. "Let's go." She showed a smile and left quickly and willingly, followed by Nick, ready to review some more detail.

"Do you think that fox will help us or collaborate with us to try to find out who stole the jewelry?" Nick was panting as he followed his fast partner.

"He has been collaborative so far. I just hope it stays that way, it'd make things easier for us and that would help put this case to an end." They both ran to the vehicle to go to the crime scene.

The military took the fox to the base to start the tests and know his true origin, if he lies, if he tells the truth, the reason for the color of his fur... There were many unsolved questions, but the military is known to have convincing evidence, with very high accuracy to find out the truth, almost infallible. On the way, there was no exchange of words, either because of the intimidation the young fox felt or because they didn't want to start much more conversation except when strictly necessary. In any case, the atmosphere became cold and distant, even among the military themselves. What will the tests determine? They'd only have to wait for its result, which wouldn't take too long.