Chapter 3

Audrey Johnson P.O.V

I'm smiling so hard right now. This is the first time anyones ever asked for my number. I don't want Nick to get the wrong idea. This definitely doesn't make us friends or anything. Like I said I don't do friends.

But one things for sure, this wasn't the worst day at school ever. And that was all thanks to Nick Nelson.

I enter the livingroom, and I see stacks of various drugs on the coffee table with my dad no where in sight. Ah yes, this is just the life of a drug dealers daughter.

After my mom left him when I was 14, he fell into a deep depression. He was never the best dad, but he was still my dad until that point. I guess I just remind him too much of her sometimes.

He started drinking quickly after she left; and lost his job. He turned to drug dealing,and then he started taking them too; that's when the hitting and whipping started.

Bright side? I always have access to all the weed I want, and occasionally something stronger.

Don't judge me. I have a shit life, and I use it mostly as pain meds. I quickly roll myself a handful of joints to hide in my room. This should be enough for the next month or so. I try not to take too much or too often from my dad, or he might get suspicious.

He probably doesn't care if I'm fucked up, he just doesn't want me doing it on his stash. It would lose him money, something he cares far more about then his own daughter.

I make my way to my bedroom on the top floor. It's a room in the attic, but I'm not complaining. I actually love my room. My dad never comes up here; probably because you have to climb the ladder and he thinks I'm not worth that much effort. So at the end of the day, this place is my escape.

I drop my backpack by the door, kicking my shoes off. They land somewhere on the floor behind me.

I only have one window in my room. It's on the back wall, that my bed is also against. I push it opened. lighting up a joint I took immediately, hoping to give my body some relief.

I close my eyes and feel the smoke fill my lungs, loving the way it burns. The sound of rain fills my ears and it's moments like these that keep me going in this house.

Just as I put out the rest of the bud, my stomach flips hearing my phone ding

I don't even want to know what my dad needs this time. I brace myself and take a whole 3 minutes before I can bring myself to look at the text

Unknown Number:
Hey! It's Nick. Thanks for letting me drive you home today. 😊

My face goes hot. My shoulders relaxing immediately. I never actually thought Nick would use my number. Especially not this quickly.
I can't help but smile as I update his contact info. I'm also so relieved it wasn't my dad.

Me:
I should be the one thanking you for the ride.

I respond, still smiling. I drop my face and deadpan as soon as I realize I've been smiling for way to long. I decide to busy myself by getting ready for bed.

Nick:
The pleasures all mine. I didn't mind saving you from the rain haha.

He messaged me again!? I didn't think he would respond to my last one. He didn't have to. Maybe he wanted to?

Me:
Nick Nelson, my hero🙄 seriously though, Thank you for everything. This is the first time I've talked to anyone in like 3 years. It's nice.

I hit send without thinking. Regretting it instantly. My high must be kicking in.

Do you ever accidentally drop your lore with someone you shouldn't, then your left feeling incredibly vulnerable? Yeah. That's me right now. Why am I like this?

If my dad found out I was texting a boy...

Oh man, I don't know what he would do.

The last time he found out I told someone what was happening to me, I was a freshman.

He fed me a spoon full of peanut butter to teach me a lesson...

..I'm allergic to peanut butter.

My throat closed up and I stopped breathing. I remember him watching me squirm in pain, and he just sat there enjoying it. It wasn't until I felt my eyeballs bulging out of my head he administered my epiPen.
"You better be careful who you talk to. From this day forward, if I find out you have any friends, at all. I won't be so kind."

He didn't wait with me after to make sure I was okay. I thought I was going to die that night. A part of me did at least.

My voice.

It's been three years since that night, and I haven't spoken a word.

Nick Nelson P.O.V

Audrey Johnson:
Nick Nelson, my hero🙄 seriously though, Thank you for everything. This is the first time I've talked to anyone my age in 3 years.

It's midnight now and I find myself re-reading her message over and over again. What do I even say to that? What should I even think about a statement like that?

I wish I understood what she meant by 'she hasn't talked to anyone in 3 years'. Could she talk before?

My head is reeling with all the possibilities and what it could mean. Does she not have any friends at all? All I know is, I should make a bigger effort to get to know her. I'm not really sure what that looks like but I know where to start.

I was going to make Audrey Johnson my friend.

(Kinda a filler chapter sorry guys! Keep going, it gets much better!🫶🏻)