Chapter 18

Audrey Johnson P.O.V

Nick goes on and on about how awesome the movie was and how much he loves Marvel the whole walk to the car. It's actually kind of cute watching him gush about his favorite things.

The movie must've finished pretty late, because It's dark out now.

"Do you want me to bring you to your cousins house?" Nick asks as we sit in his car. My heart drops. Realizing I have no idea where to tell Nick to take me. I could give him directions to some random house and claim it's my cousins, but then I would have to walk to the school in the middle of the night. I could have him drop me off at the school, but then I risk Nick finding out I'm homeless.

He can sense my hesitation, because he puts a hand on my hand softly. I flinch, being brought out of my own thoughts. He removes his hand instantly.

"Is everything alright Audrey?" He asks, sending me a look of concern. I find it in myself to smile and nod, taking my phone out.

Yeah! I just remembered my cousins boyfriend was coming over tonight. The last thing I want to do is hear them all night long. Maybe you can just drop me off at the school and I'll wait there till morning.

I type out the lie, handing him my phone so he can read the message.

"Don't be silly, the doors will be locked. What kind of douche would I be if I let you sleep outside all night in the cold, dangerous, darkeness." Nick says him tone laced with humor.

"How about you spend the night? You can stay in the guest room, I'm sure my mum wouldn't mind." He says, looking to me for approval.

Not going to lie the thought of sleeping on an actual bed sounds so good right now I could cry. Especially after my encounter with the creepy coach just before coming with Nick.

Are you sure it's that would be alright? I wouldn't want to overstep.

"Of course! My mum loves you. And after everything I've been through, I think she likes to see me happy. You make me happy Audrey." I blush and look away. Nick said that I, of all people, make him happy.

Nick Nelson P.O.V

"Do you want to play a game?" I say holding out a controller for her to take. She just eyes the object suspiciously.

"Game?" She says quietly and my heart beats loudly in my chest. Like it does every time I hear that soft little breathy voice of hers.

"Video games? Like Mario Kart? I'm the best at it." I say, a little proud. I give her an encouraging grin, as she takes the controller from my hand.

"I've never played video games" she says barley above a whisper. This is probably the most words she's ever said in one sitting. And I can't help but beam at her.

She's come so far, and worked so hard these last few weeks and I'm just so proud of her.

But then again I kinda want to cry because she's almost 18 and has never played a video game before.

"It's easy, I can teach you!" I say eagerly as I take her hand in mine. Dragging her to sit by me in the floor, in front of my tv.

She giggles at the movement and I can feel my cheeks turn red at the sound.

Audrey caught on pretty quick. It's a good thing Mario kart is an easy game to learn. Our fingers brush as I show her which buttons did what on the controller.

She's smiling and giggling like crazy and I'm starting to think she likes this game even more than I do.

I can't stop grinning and looking over at her. Her mannerisms are adorable, and I think this is the first time I've seen her really have fun.