Chapter 9

Audrey Johnson P.O.V

The week went by quickly. Everyday me and Nick text or passed notes back and forth between classes. I'm really starting to feel safe around another person in casual settings again, and that's such nice feeling.

It's Thursday evening, and remind myself to set my alarm for extra early in the morning. If I want a nice hot shower before I hang out with Nick, I'll have to do it at the school.

I make my way to the kitchen to make dinner for my dad. I've been in such a good mood this week I've actually cleaned the whole house for a change. I try my best to stay ontop of it, but usually I lack the energy to do it while injured. But my dads actually left me alone this week. I've been extra ontop of everything so I guess he has nothing to hit me for. No matter, I'm just greatful all of my bruises and cuts have had time to heal.

I hear a knock at the door and take the apron off. Making my way towards the door. I wonder who could be here anyways. We almost never have visitors.

I open the door, expecting to turn away the Mormons who are probably going door to door again, now that the rains cleared.

I am shocked when I see the two police officers standing in front of me. Two strong men who are towering me in height. My heart starts to pound as I immediately start to panic. My mind racing for what they could be here for.

"Audrey whose at the door!" My dad shouts from some room in the house, and it doesn't take long until he's behind me. Just as surprised at the presence of the police men.

"Oh, uh, can I help you gentleman?" He says, as he quietly puts his hands around my waist. In a manner that looks like a protective father to them, but I know it means to be on my best behavior. That he's watching me. And if I fail? That there will be consequences.

"Are you Presley Johnson?" One of the officers says to my dad, as he addresses him.

"Yes. Can I help you?" He says

"We've gotten a report of child abuse in the home, and we have to ask you and your daughter some questions, is that alright?" The officer says, as he takes out a pencil and mini notepad to write down everything we say.

My dad squeezes my side tightly as he hears this. And I know im screwed. Who reported him?! Because it sure as hell wasn't me, and he sure as hell thinks it is right about now.

"Oh wow I can't believe someone would do that. It must be some kinda prank. Come right in officers!" He says with a little chuckle and a million dollar smile. He's the ugliest man in the world to me, but he sure can put on a face for everyone else. He should've been an actor. I almost laugh at the thought, but then I remember the imminent danger I'm in.

My dad brings the officers to the livingroom. They both sit on the couch while my dad sits across from them in a chair. I make my way back to the kitchen to finish up dinner. Mostly to find some kind of temporary escape from the hopeless situation. I feel like a robot as I work. The pit in my stomach growing heavier and heavier as the evening goes on.

It's about an hour and a half until my dad walks in the kitchen. It's dark out, I think it's getting close to 10.

"Well, well, well. You seem to do a lot of talking for a mute bitch." He spits out slowly with as much venom as he can muster, and my blood runs cold.

I just put my head down in shame, knowing there's nothing I can say or do to ease the situation for myself. All I can do at this point, is be strong, and take as much as I can, for as long as I can.

"It took me 30 minutes alone to convince them that talking to you was pointless, but after that, they believed every word I said. It's that easy for me Audrey." He says, walking closer to me. He's walking slow to try and elongate my suffering. To fill me with fears before he makes them a reality.

"I thought you knew better than to tell anyone, especially after what happened last time." The time he took my voice from me. When I finally had lost all hope. I swallow thickly as anger fills me.

"You really thought it would be different this time, you thought someone would believe you? Don't make me laugh!" He says, finally reaching my body. He wastes no time grabbing fistfuls of my shirt, pulling me closer to him. He leans his face down to whisper in my ear

"I'm going to make you regret it."

Instantly he lifts my body off of the ground and throws me into the wall. My head hits the wall first, then the ground. Filling my visions with black spots. I feel blood running out of my left ear.

He sends kick after kick to my ribs, and I hear a loud crack. I know he hears it to, because he stops kicking my ribs, but that's not enough to stop him from the assault all together. Instead he sends a hard kick to my face, and I let out a scream. The agonizing pain getting to be unbearable.

"Whatever friends your opening your big fucking mouth to, better be gone. Or I'll kill you. And them." He finishes and I can't stop the tears that follow. He's never threatened to kill me before, and I can see in his eyes he's not bluffing.

I can't stop my mind from wondering to Nick. There's no way I can see him tomorrow. Not if he risks death over something as small as driving me home. There's actually no way I can be friends with him at all. What If my dad found out? I don't even want to think about that right now.

"Next time. I'll get the peanut butter." His whisper spits out with so much venom I wince.

I hear footsteps then the front door slam shut. Then my dads car drive off. If I'm lucky he will be gone the rest of the night.

I feel so drained and my body feels like it's on fire. I can't bring myself to leave this spot on the kitchen floor. There's no possible way I could make it up my ladder to make it to my bed anyways. So I just close my eyes as the pain puts me to sleep.