Chapter 12

Audrey Johnson's P.O.V

When I come to, panic sets in as I realize I have no idea where I am. As a matter of fact, I don't know whose clothes these are either.

What happened?

I take in my surroundings and find myself to be in some kind of teenage boys room. But I don't see any pictures or personal items to give away who lives here. Actually it's pretty bare in here, and I see a couple of boxes stacked in the corner like the person who lives here is still getting settled in.

Oh, this is so not good. How did I get here, and why can't I remember anything?

My body aches but I've felt worse, so I pull myself out of the bed and make my way to the door. Planning my escape.

It's a two storied house, because I make my way down a set of stairs. I hear soft humming coming from what I assume to be the kitchen and I walk towards it.

There, with her back turned to me. Is an older lady baking cookies and tea. A small radio sits on the counter next to her, playing some kind of old song I've never heard. But she just hums along.

We both jump and yelp a little when she turns around unexpectedly. Her eyes look panicked, probably mirroring my own; until she relaxes and sends me a big cheesy smile.

"Oh! You must be Audrey! Nicholas- I mean, Nick- Has told me so much about you!" She says.

Oh god what has he told her? That I'm some poor freak of a girl who gets beat by her dad?

"That's a lovely shirt" she says softly. I look down at it and I blush a little embarrassed because it's not mine.

"Mum?" I hear a groggy voice come from behind me. And I turn around. My cheeks heat up at the sight of Nick Nelson in his pajamas. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, standing against the doorframe of the kitchen. His long sleeve shirt clings to his body and I never realized how big his biceps were before.

Audrey stop it. Focus. Don't think about it stupid shit during a time like this.

"Oh, Audrey. You're up. How are you feeling?" He says his attention turning to me. And he's by my side in an instant. I just shrug in response to his question really not knowing now I'm feeling.

How did I get here? And when? Did Nick find me? And is my dad looking for me? I shudder at the thought.

"I see you've met my mum! This is Sarah. Sarah, Audrey." Nick says, sending me a reassuring smile as his hand finds the small of my back and leads me gently to the dinner table, pulling out my chair for me and pushing it back in after I sat. I send him a small smile as he sits in the chair next to me.

"Oh please Nicky, that's so formal! Just call me mum, dear!" The women beams a smile at me. I see where Nick gets his golden retriever energy from.

I can't help but smile and send a polite nod the women's way.

"I've just finished up some tea and cookies for us! Would you like some" She says hold out the tray to us, and Nick grabs two cookies in one hand, devouring them both almost immediately. Man he must really like cookies.
"There peanut butter cookies." She finishes smiling.

I open my mouth and close it, wanting desperately to respond but as always I can't find the words.  I'm thankful when Nick notices this, and he swiftly pulls out his phone from his pocket.

"Here, did you want to say something?" He says. Opening his phone to his notes app and handing it to me. I blush as I take the phone from his hands. Noting the fact that he notices when I want to speak.

After I stopped talking, everyone left me alone. Ignoring me until I basically didn't exist anymore. But Nick? He sees me. Sees right through me. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I'm allergic to peanut butter, but that you so much Ms Nelson. They smell delicious.

I type and hold it out for them to see.

"Oh dear! Let me put these right away then! No worries, I made a batch of chocolate chip cookies just yesterday. I'll heat them up!" She says before disappearing deeper into the kitchen.

"I-I'm sorry about her. She bakes when she's stressed, and honestly it's been an pretty hard year for me and my family." He says softly trailing off, but doesn't give me time to respond before he continues.

"I'll go wash my hands. I'm sorry, I didn't know you were allergic to peanut butter." He pushes away from the table and gets up from his chair, without another word. He disappears to a room I assume to be the bathroom.

I just sit there, simultaneously dazed and confused about everything that just happened.

No one even really knows about my allergy let alone cares enough about me to wash their hands after handling peanut butter to make sure I'm safe.

But Nick isn't like everyone else. Then I remember his far away look, as he recounted what a hard year he had been having. It makes my heart clinch and my brain run wild with the possibilities of what has happened to Nick. What was so bad, that him and his mother had to move entire countries for?

I don't let myself think about it for long. It's not my business and I have enough going on at the current moment anyways. No need to be obsessive over an offhand comment, that didn't mean anything.

But it meant something to me. I feel like Nick is starting to let his walls down. Even if it's just a little bit.  He's letting me see him for who he really is.

"Here you go, dear! If you need anything else just let Nick know! I'll be out for the day at work. It was so lovely meeting you, Audrey." Ms Nelson says as she sets down a plate of cookies in front of me.

I send her the biggest smile I can muster in thanks. She doesn't say anything else as she turns to leave, and I'm left alone with the cookies. Or almost alone.

The cutest dog with long blonde fur walks over to wear I'm sat at the table, and she starts licking me and trying to play with me. I can see she's a bundle of energy, and really fits the vibe of the Nelson family home.

I give her soft scratches behind the ear with one hand, while my other hand reaches for a warm cookie. Taking small bites as I enjoy the company of the furry friend.