Chapter 26

Nick Nelson P.O.V:

It's dark out and pretty chilly. I notice Audrey shiver and wrap her arms around herself.

I shrug off my coat and she smiles; allowing me to wrap the coat around her shoulders wordlessly.

She thanks me and we continue our on walk with Nellie.
"Sorry about my mum she talks too much sometimes, haha." I say.

"No worries, she's a sweetheart." She responds. My heart warms knowing how fond she is of my mum. Audrey really is too kind for her own good.

"Maybe, but she still made you uncomfortable." I frown.

"It's okay Nick. Most things make me uncomfortable. In fact you and your mom are about the only people who can make me comfortable, period."

That's enough to make me blush and feel a bit better. Audrey's the only one who can ease my anxiety these days. 

"Guess what I brought?" Audrey says, peaking my interest.

"What's that?"

"Medicine"
She giggles, pulling out a joint from her back pocket. At first I'm kinda worried that we would get caught, but then again I honestly don't care. All that matters right now is me and Audrey. And kinda Nellie because she's my responsibility, but you get the point.

"Last time I smoked with you I had a panic attack." I say jokingly.

"Suit yourself." She says, putting the J between her lips and lighting it. She takes a long drag, blowing the smoke out from her nose. She sighs, like she enjoys the way it burns. My heart pounds and I find myself reaching for the joint.

I cough more then she does, but she doesn't laugh or mock me for it. We just continue to pass it back and forth.

The street lights are so bright we can't see the stars, and the trashy cracked sidewalk really feels like we're in a small town in the south.  Sometimes America makes me roll my eyes. I switch sides with Audrey, to stand on the side closet to the road. I touch her lower back briefly when crossing behind her and the simple action brings warmth throughout my whole body.
"Soo, you're going to the playoffs?" She says.

"well I think everyone plays in the first round, but yeah!"

"What do you think about your new coach? He's gonna be the one to take you all the way?" She says and giggles. I can tell the weed is affecting her already.

"I mean, he's just the assistant, and I haven't technically met him yet; but we've all seen him on the side-lines talking to coach griffin. He seems nice enough." I respond. Nellie is practicing pulling us forward she's so excited to be on a walk.

"What do you think about college?"  She says suddenly.

"What is this, 20 questions? Are we gonna play this every time we smoke." I say, laughing at how forward she's been tonight. She doesn't respond, just sends me a pointed look so I answer the question anyways.
"Well, I'll probably go back to London for university." Her steps falter slightly but she covers it well.

"That makes sense." She nods, passing me back the joint.

"What do you think about college?" I ask, taking a hit.

"I don't think about it. I can't afford to go to college; it's never been in the cards for me." she pauses for a minute and the silence is thick. I look deep into her doe eyes.
"But I think I would like to get out of this town." She finishes. My heart clenches. I send her a sad smile.

"Yeah, I get that. Is there anywhere you'd want to go?" I ask

"Somewhere far far away from here." She sighs.