Chapter 11

Nick Nelson P.O.V

My hands tremble slightly as I flip through the hangers In my closet. Everything I have would just fall right off of her. I keep flipping through my clothes with shaky hands and feel myself growing more overwhelmed. I don't know if it's the stress of the day, or pressure of everything is getting to me. But Its apparent as I gasp for air it's not because of the clothes.

Focus Nick. Focus. You have to help Audrey.

As I make it to the back of my closet, I pull out a shirt I haven't seen in a while. It's a small black shirt that would probably fit Audrey perfect. The only problem?

This is Charlie's shirt.

My fingers clutch tightly around the fabric and I just want to scream.

Oh Charlie. I wish you were here. You were always so much better at this sort of thing. Always focused during dreadful situations, while I on the other hand can't focus on anything. The great rugby king, football star Nick Nelson; Is boiled down to nothing but an anxious waste of space.

He would want Audrey to wear this. I think. He would want to help, and in some small way, I guess he can now.

I pull the shirt off the hanger, and grab some boxers that will fit like shorts on her.  Not wanting to think about it, or Charlie anymore.
I work my way to the bathroom to grab the first aid kit.

The sun is set at this point; and it's probably around 7.

After Audrey didn't show up to school, and didn't answer any of my texts I knew something must've been wrong. We were supposed to hang out after school today; and I know she wouldn't just back out without texting me about it first.

I got tired of waiting around at the school for her and I pulled up to her house around 5 to check on her. I knocked over and over, and the sinking feeling got worse in my stomach; until I finally let myself in.

I have to blink out the image of her lifeless body laying in a pool of own blood.

If I had a nickel for every time a scene like this traumatized me, I would have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice right?

When I make it back to Audrey, she looks to be asleep curled up into my comforter. I smile to myself before it drops, as the more sinister thought comes to my mind that she's actually dead.

"Audrey" I say softly, and give her a little shake. Her eyes flutter open softly before they dart around quickly, as if she forgot where she was and is trying to figure it out. But then her eyes land on me looking over her and she visibly relaxes. Sighing softly and her body becoming less alert in an instant. I find myself sighing too in relief that she was only napping.

"Do you think you can stand?" I ask

She nods her head yes, and she lifts her arms up and lock around my neck. My hands instantly guid their way to her waist and I start to pull her upwards into a standing position.

A throaty groan escapes her pale lips, and I can see the shear amount of pain she must be in.

What happened to you Audrey Johnson?

I go to lift her shirt over her arms but she yelps and tears start to fill her eyes. And I freeze. I look at her, and this is the first time I think I really look at her. She has a black eye and dried blood coats the tip of her nose to her upper lip, having been bleeding from both nostrils. And her once lively brown eyes, are now replaced by a look of fear. Her arms don't move, and I realize this isn't going to work.

She obviously isn't in any state to help me help her, and even if she was I wouldn't want her to strain and make her injuries worse. I don't even know the extent of them, but she's lucky if she hasn't punctured any vital organs and is bleeding out internally.