Chapter 8

Nick Nelson P.O.V:

I groan at the sound of my alarm. The last thing I wanted to do right now was go to school. I can't hardly wake myself up.

Mum and I spent the weekend  researching ways to help Audrey with her situation. We didn't get much sleep. Mum was so worried, and cared so much when I told her everything.

I'm so lucky to have someone like my mum.

The best plan we came up with, is to call the school, and anonymously report Audrey's dad for suspected child abuse. Someone from the state will probably have to come out and see what's really happening to her. Until then, Ill just try my best to be a good support system for her. Be someone she can trust.

I make my way downstairs to find my mum with a plate of toast and jam waiting for me.

"Tea?" She asks.
"Yes please." I reply. As I begin breakfast. Mum doesn't say much. She knows I need a little more space to process it all. She never minds how quiet I tend to be these days. Or at least she hasn't mentioned it.

We continue to eat our breakfast in peace while I mentally prepare for my day.

Before I can walk out the door for school, mums voice stops me.

"Nick. Whatever happens. Know it's not your fault, okay?" She says with a nod, and I smile slightly in response; until she continues.

"It's not your responsibility to save her. Leave it to the adults, alright love?" This is enough to warrant a real response out of me.

"It actually is my responsibility mom. I can't just sit there, and watch someone else I care about die." I answer snarky. My voice is slightly raised which I feel awful about, but I can't seem to hold in my feelings today. "I just sat there, and ignored all the signs with Charlie. I watched him fucking die." I finish in a whisper. My voice trailing off towards the end. The reality of it all hits me deep in my chest again. I shake my head, trying to ignore all the parallels between the dark headed boy, and the dark headed girl.
Damnit, another parallel.

"I-I gotta get to school." I stammer out, turning around and walking out the front door without another word.

I wrap Charlie's favorite sweater around me a little tighter.

Oh Charlie how I wish you were here right now.

I walk into the school building with my head held high, smiling and saying hello to various people as I make my way through the hallway. I've mastered the art of faking it.

When I make it to my home room, Audrey is already sitting. The dark red cut still visible on her lip. I wrap my arms around myself and hold my sweater tighter instinctively.

She hasn't noticed me yet, as she was sketching in some kind of notebook.

She flinches when the chair scrapes against the ground, as I move my chair into the desk.

"Hey, how you feeling today?" I say, sending her a small smile.

Her soft brown eyes meet mine, and she flips the pages in her notebook to a blank one. She scribbles across the page.

I feel fine.

I re-read the word 'fine' over and over. Flashbacks of Charlie constantly saying 'I'm fine' come to mind, until the one of his dead body in my hands as I cry out for him not to leave me, also comes to mind.

I blink it away, hard. Come on Nick your mask is slipping.

"Thanks for last night, it's been awhile since I've smoked with any of my mates. it was nice." I say softly with a chuckle.
She laughs back too. It's not loud. Actually it's almost even breathless, but it still sent a shiver down my spine.

Oh so we're mates now?

"Of course we're mates! You've been in my car, I've seen your bedroom, in some countries we're practically married." I state matter of factly.

This time, her laugh is fully audible. And my chest swells with pride, at the facts she's laughing like this because of me. A couple of other classmates look our way, and she goes silent, blushing a deep red. I'm sure the students are curious what made the mute girl laugh.

"Your blushing" I say, more as a statement then in a teasing manner. Either way, she covers her cheeks almost instantaneously. I frown a little missing the sight of it for some reason.

As she moves her hands away from her face, my attention is brought back to the cut on her lip. And I think about the bruises on her shoulder. And whatever else there might be.

"Do you want to do something with me, sometime?" I blurt out, before I can stop myself. She doesn't deserve all of this pain, and all I want to do right now is to take some of that away. To make her happy. Even if it's just for one night.

Her eyes go wide at my question, and after a long pause of consideration; I'm just about to apologize for asking at all, when she starts to write on the paper.

When?

"Uhh, I dunno, how about Friday? After school?" I say, smiling.

Okay, yeah. That sounds like fun

The bell rings before I can say anything else, but not before I noticed the soft tinge of red returning to her face. As she leaves the room I let myself think about Friday.

What should we do? We could see a movie? Would she think it's a date? Is it a date? Am I ready to date again?...

The more my brain thinks the more anxious I'll get. So I force myself to focus on planning the evening before I let myself think about what it could mean.