Chapter 19

Nick Nelson P.O.V

The football banquet is tonight, so I find myself getting ready for it. I put on a nice button up shirt, and khaki pants; the outfit seems fitting enough for the event.

I'm actually looking forward to it. It means I get to spend the evening with Audrey. Ever since she spent the night a few weeks ago, everything has felt, different.

The party is going to be at the football coaches house. I guess he lives in a pretty huge place and it's close to the school so it's convenient for everyone.

Aaron told me that he's a pretty chill coach, who buys lots of alcohol and never asks questions. So everyone uses this as an opportunity to get drunk or high on someone else's dime.

I sent Audrey the address, so we can meet there. The drive is fast, and I feel my stomach knotting up tighter and tighter the closer I get.
My nerves are a bitch and I can't wait for a drink to calm them.

Though I'll probably only have one because I have to drive home.

Deep breath Nick.

When I pull in. The first thing I notice is all the parked cars and teenagers hanging around. The second thing I notice is Audrey. Standing next to the front porch, one arm is across her body holding onto her other arm that lays by her side. She's trying to make herself look smaller. Look invisible. But I see her.

She's looking around for who I can only assume to be me. So I make my way out of my car and to her quickly. I hate that she got here before me. I would much rather be here to take care of her just incase. I'm not really sure how wild American parties get, so I rather prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

My long legs gliding across the paved walkway; that's when she notices me.

She stares, taking in my appearance while I see the top of her cheekbones start to blush. Her eyes look down my body then back up.
Immediately feeling hot, I roll up my sleeves to my elbow. Her eyes never leaving my body.

I smile.
"Hey! You made it. You look amazing!" I say. Now it's my turn to take in her appearance.

She's absolutely gorgeous as always.  Her hair is combed straight, and her she tucks her hair behind her ears. I can tell she made efforts to look cute tonight, but I can't help but notice she's wearing the same clothes she usually wears. Has her cousin really not gotten her anything since she moved? My heart breaks at the thought, so I try my best to shake it off. I want to focus on having fun tonight.

She sends me a small smile, as I hold my hand out to her. She puts her small fingers in my palm, and I immediately pull her inside the house. We giggle as we enter.

There's music going inside and it looks like most the adults have already left. I see a lot of the boys on my football team, and a even more people I don't know.

It's kinda weird having a party like this at the coaches house, but I guess it's cool we're allowed to drink and party with a responsible adult in charge at least.

I feel Audrey tense as she sees all of the bodies that crowd the room. I just give her a reassuring squeeze of the hand, then continue pulling her through the crowd.

It only occurs to me now that this is probably her first party. So I will make it my mission to keep a close eye on her tonight.

When we finally break through the crowd, we are in the kitchen. There are tons of opened pizza boxes on the counters along with lots and lots of alcohol bottles.

I see recognize someone and I call out to him.
"Hey coach Griffin!" My coach turns around, he looks at me then his eyes follow down to the girl at my side. At the same time Audrey moves one small step behind me and holds my hand a little tighter. The action confuses me but I don't focus on it

"Hey kids! Nick, what a great season you've had. We love having you on the team, buddy! Celebrate tonight you've earned it." He says smiling and it's only then that I notice the red solo cup he's holding.

"Yes sir will do. Thank you." I smile and nod back politely.

He glances from me to Audrey again.
"Coach, this is Audrey. My erm- friend." I say, looking between the two.

For some reason the term friend doesn't sound like the right one when describing how I feel about Audrey. Aaron is my friend. Tao is my friend. What I feel for them is much different then what I am feeling towards Audrey.

"Nice to meet you Audrey." Coach Griffin says, holding out his hand for her to shake. I notice her hesitation. It takes audrey a while, until she reaches out and shakes it back.  She doesn't respond but coach doesn't seem to mind. Almost like he expected her not to.

"Okay, well. You two kids have fun! I'll leave you to get settled in. Please make yourself comfortable!" He says with one last million dollar smile before disappearing into the crowd.

He's an interesting man.

"So what will it be?" I say gesturing to the wide variety of drinks at our disposal. I smile down at her and she looks like she's letting her guard back down with me; because she smiles back.

"I-I don't know. I've never drank before." She says sheepishly, honestly.

"No worries! If you're interested in trying it, I can stay sober and be your designated driver. Make sure you don't react poorly to the alcohol or wonder off or something. Or we can both be sober, and just enjoy each other's company tonight. Whatever you're comfortable with" I respond.

She blushes slightly and nods.
"I want to try it." She whispers taking me up on my offer to try a drink. I pick up some kinda piña colada flavored vodka. Pouring the contents into a little red cup and handing it to her. She grabs it with two hands, and eyes it suspiciously. Then looks back to me.

"Drink up, auds" I say with a smirk. Her face reddens at my words but she listens anyways.

Bringing the cup to her lips and downing all its contents at once

Bringing the cup to her lips and downing all its contents at once. My eyes go wide.

"Woah slow down little lady. I kinda thought you'd drink on that cup throughout the night." I say chuckling. She smiles at me sheepishly and I can't deny how cute she looks right now.

"Can I have another one?" She asks softly.

"Are you sure?" I question.

"Mhm" she nods her head. I could listen to the sound of her voice all day I think.
"Maybe you should wait and see how you feel first?"

"But it tastes so yummy" she wines.
I just smile and laugh at how silly she's being. manic even. While filling her cup up halfway, handing it back to her. She instantly takes a drink. Her face cringing as it goes down, but she stops after the first drink instead of chugging it all like the first time.

I'm so glad she's here with me tonight. It definitely wouldn't be the same without Audrey.