Chapter 28

Audrey Johnson P.O.V-

It's Monday morning, and this has been one of the best weekends of my life. I was finally able to be honest with someone, and tell Nick everything that's been happening. I was so scared, but when he told his mom she invited me to stay with them full time.

I feel like a burden in a way, but she said they have a guest room that stays empty and that I'm already over so much anyways I'm practically family.

Family.

Wow. It feels like I might finally be getting a real one of those.

"Ready?" Nick says throwing his backpack on over one shoulder.

"Yep!" I say, following him to the front door. Truth be told, I'm a little nervous. Riding with Nick to school everyday is for sure going to make people who have never previously noticed me; turn their heads.

We live in a small town, we've only had like 3 new students my entire life and as you can guess, none of them are from a different country. Nick is, special. He's probably going to stay the talk of the town until he goes back to the UK.

"Do you want me to come with you to pick up your stuff after school? Just to make sure he's not there or anything?" Nick asks as we get in his car.

I cringe, this is why I didn't want to tell anyone. I don't want Nick following me around everywhere and being my bodyguard. It's not fair to either one of us.

"No worries! You have football practice after school, remember? He's gonna be there anyways; If you want to help, maybe just keep an eye on him for me?" I respond politely. Nick smiles like he's happy to have some kind of job to help.

"Yeah of course! Good idea. I won't let that slimy booger out of my sights."

"Haha, you're so British. Thank you Nick. For everything you've done for me. Really." I say, looking  out the window.

"You don't have to thank me Auds, Im only doing what I want to do."

We reach the school in no time, and I think Nick can sense my worries, because he grabs my hand and squeezes it.

"Why are you shaking, love?" He says, his large warm hands sooth my own.

"Im just, worried everyone is going to find out somehow. Like everyone's going to look at my differently." I say holding my head down. Nick pauses.

"Yeah, that's understandable. But hey! Just let me know if anyone says anything and I'll totally shut them up for you.  " Nick says jokingly.

"Don't hurt yourself for me big guy" I say smiling, as we both get out of the vehicle.

We walk in step side by side making our way to the front door, we both awkwardly try to walk in at the same time and we giggle.

Home room is full by the time we get there, but we haven't missed the tardy bell yet. We wordlessly sit down and I try to ignore any lingering gazes from my fellow classmates.

"You're doing great." I hear nicks soft raspy voice whisper beside me, and I'm glad neither one of us bothered looking at each other because I can feel my ears and cheeks start to red. I attempted to  hide myself behind my hair.

The teacher does roll, which always takes forever so I'm just aimlessly doodling on my notebook, a little bored

"Where did you want to go  Friday?" Nick asks me, making casual conversation.

"Hmm?" I say still not looking at him.

"Remember? Fridays are our official date nights, I know a really good Thai house and an equally as remarkable chicken joint; which would you rather?" He says and I blush. Date nights? Does this mean we are dating? Wait no, Audrey that's not how that works; you sound dense right now.

"Umm, whats Thai food again?" I say shyly and he smiles.

"Lots of noodles, rice, shrimp; stuff like that."

"I've never tried half of those, let's definitely go there."

"I think it's a fancier restaurant too if that's alright." He says.

"Oh, I don't really have anything nice to wear, is that okay?"

"Love, I don't care what you dress like; I'm there to be with you, not your t-shirt." He says sweetly, "but I do think it's about time I've taken you on a shopping spree, we can hit some shops before dinner on Friday, if you'd like?"

This gets me to do a double take. My eyes are probably really wide right now. New clothes? I've never really picked my own clothes out before.
"Are you sure? You really don't have to do that, that's too generous Nick" I say.

"No, please; like I said I'm not doing anything I don't want to do. Besides, now that you've moved in with me, you should get some new clothes and maybe even some room decorations to really make it feel like home." He says sincerely. I want to tear up.
"Oh Nick." I say sweetly as I put my hand on his arm. "I'm definitely getting a job after this though"

"If you must. But how are you gonna drive to it?"

"That's where you come in handy my friend."

"Just Friend? Ouch I'm wounded." He says putting his hand over his heart.
"What else would we be?" I say, but before he could answer the bell rings and everyone flocks to the doors. We start getting ready to leave and just as I finish packing my bag I hear nicks fading voice.
"I'll be whatever youd like me to a be" and just like that he disappears into the crowd, leaving me alone In the classroom with my cheeks hot and my thoughts racing.