Chapter 17

Audrey Johnson P.O.V

It's been three weeks away from home, and two weeks since my encounter with the coach. I haven't stopped thinking about it. Becoming a total shell of myself.

Leave it to me, to escape one abuser just to end up in the vicious grasps of another.

I pretend to be normal as much as I can with Nick, but he can tell somethings bothering me.

The next day when I went back, I noticed someone had set up a small cot bed up in the closet of the office for me to sleep in. No doubt in my mind that it was the coach.

Maybe It's some kind of fucked up apology that I will never accept, or maybe something to remind me to keep quiet. The bright side is, the closet can lock from the inside.

It's somewhere I can lock the world out of. Somewhere Ill be safe from that coach, my dad, and anyone else who wants to hurt me.

I eat a breakfast bar, and get dressed for the day. Wearing one of the three outfits I own, and make my way to homeroom.

The only thing that has kept me sane is talking to Nick. Sentences are still hard for me, but I'm getting better at responding to him with short words. I'm still not brave enough to talk to anyone else, or even really talk in front of anyone else.

Nick comes in shortly after me, and beams a smile at me.

"Good morning America, how are you today?" He says politely as he sits in the chair by me.

I give him a small smack on the shoulder in play at the nickname.

"Ribs feeling any better today?"

I shrug my shoulders but still I nod.
It's true. They do feel better. They still bruised and wrapped, but breathing hurts a little less these days.

"Good! That's good. How's your cousin?" He asks, and I advert my gaze. I always get super awkward when they ask about my cousin. Because I hate lying to them.

But Id also never forgive myself if I took advantage of him and his moms kindness. They don't deserve having to take care of some helpless mute girl.

God I am just so tired of being the helpless, now homeless, mute girl.

Nicks hand quickly grabs mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze before letting it go.
"If anything's going on. I hope you know you can talk to me."

I send him a smile and nod, telling him a understood. I understand, yes, but I won't do it. I won't tell Nick what happened. I just can't.

Shame and embarrassment wash over me again thinking about everything did to me. And showering 5 times after wasn't enough to wash the hurt off my skin.

"Let's do something." Nick says suddenly, taking me out of my thoughts.

"You can use a little cheering up, and I could use a little more Audrey time." He says smoothly with a slight chuckle. I chuckle too and blush. Only Nick can pull me out of such depressing thoughts so quickly.

I nod my head

I nod my head. Agreeing we should do something outside of school together.

"Great! Are you free after school? There's a new movie playing at the mall that I've been wanting to see!" He says with a big smile. He's so giddy, he really reminds me of a toddler sometimes. His smile is so contagious.

-

School is over and I'm changing my clothes in my office room. I'm supposed to meet with Nick any minute now, so I need to hurry.

Just as I finish getting my shoes on to go; the door to the office suddenly opens, and my heart drops as the coach walks in.

"Well well well. I was wondering if I would see you here, miss Audrey." He says, sending me a smile that makes me feel sick to my stomach. I don't like the way he knows my name, it uneases me immensely actually.

I stand up a little straighter, readying myself to fight if I need to. Since I know Nick is near by, the odds of getting to safety are much higher then they were two weeks ago.

"Settle down girl. I'm just here to pick up some paperwork." He says, walking past me and grabbing a stack of papers sitting on the desk.

He turns to walk out, but not before coming in close to whisper in my ear. "It's nice to see the affect I still have on you, sweetheart." He whispers, and my body retracts instantly. Backing away from him, and sending him a look of disgust. He just chuckles again, before continuing out the door.

Leaving me standing alone in the office like I was only a brief moment ago.

I shake my head trying to erase the events that just happened from my memory. This evening is about Nick and I having a fun time. I'll be damned if I let that pervert ruin it for me.

With a new found determination, I leave the office and exit the locker room, on my way to find Nick.

I find him quickly at the front of the school waiting for me. I take in his appearance and I gotta say, he looks handsome.

Shut up Audrey's brain

"Hey there you are, I was half worried you were going to stand me up again." He says half heartedly with a little chuckle. I just smile back at him.

"Come on, let's go. We don't want to be late." Nick says, then walks me to his car. He opens the door for me, and I'm able to mutter a small audible 'thank you'. He beams at the sound of my voice and the sight makes my chest feel all fuzzy.

I could be in Nicks presence all day and never get tired of him. We sit in silence the whole way to the theater, nothing but the sound of the radio between the two of us. I like it that way, finding peace in the silence.

"Two tickets to the new marvel movie" Nick says when we make it inside. He pays for our tickets then we walk to the concession stand.

"What do you want? I think I'll get some popcorn and a soda." Nick says to me, while we look over the menu options.

"Not hungry" I say softly and send him a little reassuring smile when he looks at me concerned. Just then my own body betrays me when my stomach growls loud enough we both can hear it. My cheeks go red at the sound.

He looks down at me with a sadden expression.

"Audrey, I want you to eat if you're hungry." He says. I can hear the seriousness in his tone. A tone that makes me think, me eating is more important to him then I would ever understand.

"No money" I finally tell him the truth, a little embarrassed. My shoes become the most interesting thing, as I avoid his gaze.

"It's a good thing I'm paying for you then." He says with a grin. Then goes on to order two buckets of popcorn, two large sodas, and an assortment of different candies. There's way more food then either of us could finish, but we didn't care.

The only thing that matters right now is us and the fun night we have. All that matters is,
Nick, and Audrey.