Chapter 13

Nick Nelson P.O.V

I find Audrey at the kitchen table, playing with Nellie and eating cookies. She looks adorable. Nellie kinda looks adorable too.

I snap a picture, savoring the moment.

"Her names Nellie. She really likes you." I say. Her head turns around quickly at the sound of my voice but I see her visibly relax when she notices me. She smiles, and my heart swells.

She has a bruised nose, and a black eye is forming. I feel the anger rise in me, as I make my way towards the table. Pulling the chair out beside her, and sitting down.
"Audrey, and be honest with me- What happened?" I say softly. And she just puts her head down, like she expected this conversation to be coming but has been dreading it.

"Please." I say, and put my phone down on the table between the two of us.

She takes the hint, and picks it up in her delicate fingers. The large screen is big enough she uses two hands to hold it.

She types quickly before she puts the phone in my hand. I don't miss the way my stomach flutters when our hands touch.

Can you tell me what happened first? How did I get here? No offense or anything, but like why am I with you? And where did my clothes go?

What? She doesn't remember anything about last night?

My heart breaks a little more realizing she's been so hurt that she legit can't even remember what happened. Does she even remember what happened to her to begin with at this point?

 Does she even remember what happened to her to begin with at this point?

"Yesterday when you didn't show up at school; gosh, I was so worried. Because we were supposed to hang out and you don't seem like the type of person to stand me up without so much as a text." I start and she stares at me intensely, holing onto every word I say.

"I texted you a few times throughout the day, but you never responded. I even waited around after school for awhile to see if you would come. But, you never did.." I wince and look away. The image of her unconscious body on her kitchen floor popping in my head again. And then Charlie, but only for a second.

"I went to your house to see if you were okay, and I just kept knocking but no one answered. I just felt something bad was waiting behind the door so I didn't think, and just came in." I advert my gaze, my eyes undoubtedly look teary, My leg starts to bounce anxiously but I can't seem to stop it.

"Y-y-you we're just lying there." My voice barley above a whisper.
"You weren't moving. You were just so still, and then I saw the blood. And I-" my voice breaks and my throat starts to feel tight. I swallow hard, and will myself to be strong. I'm not going to sit here and cry when she's sitting here being so strong.

"I tried to drive you to the hospital, but you refused. So I brought you here. You were kinda in and out of consciousness all evening. I did my best to take care of you. But don't worry, I slept in the guest bed; and didn't look at anything, when I changed you." I finish. Not finding it in myself to meet her eyes. The events of the night catching up to me and even though I'm in the safety of my own home, I'm filled with fear.

It doesn't seem to bother Audrey though because she takes my hand in hers and gives it a reassuring squeeze, before picking my phone back up and typing again.

Thank you for everything Nick. I probably wouldn't be here without you. I owe you.

I finally meet her gaze, and send her a sad smile.

"It's your turn to tell me what happened

"It's your turn to tell me what happened." I say softly, and she frowns. I sit there anxiously. My leg still bouncing in anticipation, as I wait for her to type her response.

She finished typing but hesitates to give me the phone. Like she's thinking over if she should really be telling me this or not.

A couple of cops showed up to my house on Thursday night. They said somebody reported my dad for child abuse. He lied, and they believed him. He said he wanted to kill me, Nick. And kill any friends who have helped me. I can't go back there. Its not safe for either one of us.

I reread her words over and over. Each time my stomach sinking more, as the harsh reality of the situation hits me. I knew it was bad, but I never expected all of this. He wants to kill her, and even worse. It really was all my fault. It was me and mum who sent that report. A report that she almost died because of.

Because of me...

Not good. No, this is not good at all.

"Do you have anyone you can stay with? Someone to help you get on your feet and away from your dad?" I ask softly. It wasn't until now that I realized how young I really am. I'm 17. I don't have a house, I borrow my mums car, I don't even have a job! How the hell am I supposed to actually help Audrey Johnson. I clearly didn't think my plans through before I jumped head first off the deep-end. And I really don't want to get my face beaten in by Audrey's dad.

Audrey thinks for a moment before she responds.

I have a cousin I can probably ask to stay with, but my phone and the rest of my stuff is still at my house

"We can stop by tomorrow and get your things?" I start. Saying the words that come to my mind before really thinking them. But that's good because I don't really want to think right now.
"And then maybe you can stay here until Monday? So my mum and I can make sure you're alright, and I can bring you to school." I finish.

She looks deep into my eyes and I get lost in them. After a moment of consideration she sends me a wordless nod of agreement. I feel immensely better knowing she will be safe, and with me for the next two days.

Not to ruin the moment, but do you have any honey for this tea?

"Oh, my god; you're so American" I say, both of us busting out laughing cutting the tension in the room and putting us back into a playful manner.

So American? What's that supposed to mean.

"I don't know, something about putting honey in your tea is just wrong. What's wrong with tea the way it is?"

It's too bitter without honey; I like my tea sweet, please.

How could I not crumble right there when she's looking at me with those eyes. Giving me a pleading smile.

"Shit Alright," I mumble under my breath. "whatever you say, America." She scrunches her nose at the nickname, and I smile victoriously. She doesn't even have time to type out a response before I'm walking towards the kitchen on the hunt for honey.