Chapter 16

Audrey Johnsons P.O.V

Damn you, Nick Nelson. I'm going to die of hypothermia and it's all your fault.
I think to myself, as I stand in the pooring rain in at the football stadium.

Nick has been begging me to come watch one of his football games. When I finally cave and tell him I'll come, we're hit with an unexpected rainstorm.

If the weather conditions weren't so miserable, I might have enjoyed the evening. Watching Nick runaround in a tight uniform is always entertaining.

My focus is drawn back to the game when I hear the football coach yelling at Nick on the sidelines; before he runs back onto the field.

I promised to meet up with him after the game. Since there are only a few minutes left in the half, I make my way down the stands and towards the boys stadium locker room. Waiting outside the door, still in the rain.

More people start the crowd the area. Mostly the parents of the kids, waiting to pick them up.

"Audrey! Hello dear!" I hear behind me, and I turn around. Noticing the the warm features of Sarah Nelson, Nick's mom. Standing under an umbrella.

"Why don't you join me under here, love! Don't want you catching a cold!" She holds the umbrella out towards me invitingly.

I beam at her in thanks, and walk over to stand next to her. Warming up almost instantly after escaping the icy raindrops. Ms Nelson is truly a live savor. She deserves the world.

"Waiting on Nicky?" She says. I nod and smile, knowing I'm going to tease him with that nickname later.

"I'm so glad he's met you. It's the first time in a long time I've seen him smile. He's talking about colleges again too, he believes in his future again. And it's because of you." She smiles a far off look in her eyes, and I'm taken aback myself.

I didn't know I meant that much to Nick. I knew we were friends; or 'mates' as he says. But his mom makes it sound like, I've really been there for him, somehow. I'm not sure why she thinks that, because he's actually been the one who been there for me.

I don't have time to respond before all the football boys run off the field, and start piling into the locker room door we're standing next to.

Nick spots us and stops. The cheesiest grin on his face.

"Audrey, you came!" He says. His hair is soaked from the rain and sweat. It falls down in strands in front of his eyes. He pushes it back and his muscles flex slightly from the moment.

What's wrong with me? Why am I looking at him like that? Probably because I've never seen him soaking wet and in the rain before.

"Always." I say softly and he has to strain his ears to hear me over the rain. He smiles at me and I smile back. He's always so understanding and patient with me and my weird speaking process.

"Absolutely no pressure to say yes, but would you be interested in coming to this football banquet thing with me, next weekend?" Nick asks, and I wrinkle my nose at the idea.

"It's like an end of the year party. My friend Aaron was telling me that all the adults leave to a fancy dinner, and the kids stay back and party rest of the night." He says. "Sorry mum." He adds, given he was just talking about going to a party. She just waves him off.

"Look, I wouldn't go if I didn't have to. But it's mandatory attendance for all of the first string players, and I really don't want to endure a bunch of drunk Americans all alone." He finishes.

I don't know.. I've never been to a party and I don't see why I have to start now.

It will be crowded and sweaty, and there will be tons of drunk idiot teenagers. An accident is bound to happen.

He gives me a puppy dog face, and it makes my tummy kinda flip flop.

"I'll think about it." I say.

"Thank you." He says with a bright smile. "Do you want a ride home with me and mum? We can drop you off at your place." Nick asks sweetly and his mother adds her agreements as well.

"My cousins actually here to pick me up, so I better get going." I say with a sad smile. Nicks smile falters, but only for a second as he recovers.

"Oh, alright! No worries! Maybe next time. I'll see you at school?" He asks and I nod. We smile at eachother before I turn around and walk away into the rain, without another word.

It's a short walk to the track and field building I'm staying at. I'm so ready to get out of these wet clothes and shower.

I make it to the locker rooms inside of the building, and make my way to the showers. I turn the water as hot as it can go, and wash away all my worries down the drain. At least for a little while.

When I finally decide to get out, it's been at least 20 minutes and my fingers are all wrinkly. I grab one of the towels that are always there, and wrap it around my body tightly. Making my way towards the office, or should I say. My bedroom.

I've been staying here almost 5 days now, and slowly but surely I'm getting used to sleeping on the floor.

I don't even bother being quiet thinking for sure I would be alone, given this building is almost always empty. Or is empty whenever I need to sleep here at least.

I twist the door handle, and walk into the office. My heart drops when I notice the figure standing in the room.

"Now what do we have here?" He asks with a little chuckle.

I don't respond. I look like a deer caught in the headlights, because I freeze and just stare at him wide eyed.

"Not much of a talker?" He ponders for a moment before a look of recognition hits his face.
"Oh wait. Aren't you that mute girl? I've seen you hanging around the football boys some. What are you doing here? And in a towel no less." He questions. Putting his hands on the desk in front of him, and pushing himself up. I recognize him now as Nicks football coach.

I just hang my head low, as he looks over my bag, pillow, and blanket in the corner of the room.

"Oh, so the mute girl is a runaway? What's stopping me from calling your parents right now?" He says, his voice turning a little more sinister.

My eyes snap to his and I send him a pleading look.

No no no. He can't do that. He wouldn't. If my dad got a call from the school, he would come get me so fast. And he would kill me. He said it himself.

"I'll let you stay here if you want. Your secrets safe with me. On one condition." The coach says and I eagerly nod my head.

I would do anything to keep him from telling my dad where I am.

"Your secrets safe with me, if mine is safe with you." He says cooly and his eyes darken.
"Shhh this won't take long."

An icy chill goes down my spine as I realize what a turn this situation has taken.

I start to back away, but as soon as I move he leaps into action. Getting to me quickly, and over powering me twice as fast.

I have never regretted being in a towel more in my life, because he rips it off me in one swift motion. He notices the bandages wrapped around my chest but that only makes him falter slightly, before he continues his assault on me.

I want to scream. Yell for help. Make any sound at all, but I can't. My throat is tight and all the words I want to say, get caught in it.