Chapter 15

Audrey Johnson's P.O.V

"Are you sure no one is home?" Nick asks, concern laced in his voice. As we park a few houses down the road from my own.

I don't see his car, so I know he must be at work. I don't say anything, just simply nod my head and open the car door.

Nick follows my actions, and joins me on the sidewalk as we make our way to my house.

We walk in silence. He never brought up me talking last night, and I'm greatful for it. I'm not really sure myself why I did it. Maybe a mixture of high emotions and me being delusional because it was in the middle of the night.
Even though I spoke to Nick, I'm not sure I'm ready to use my voice in it's entirety. The fear of my dad always looms over me, though I take this as a really good step in the right direction. A good sign showing how close freedom is for me.

Only one more month till my 18th birthday. Then I'll be able to buy my own place far far away from here.  Maybe then I'll be able to talk normally.

But until then, here I am with Nick Nelson; making our way into the home that holds so many painful memories.

I don't look in the direction of the kitchen because I'm sure my blood would still be on the floor. I'm trying to be strong today, and I'm not sure if I could stomach seeing all that.

But I can feel Nick put his hand on the small of my back as we pass it. He's undeniably staring.

I pull the ladder down and quickly make my way up to my room in the attic. I find my phone left on the changer, and grab them both. I put them in my back pack. I open my bedside drawer and find the small box of joints I had hid. I put it in my bad aswell. I notice Nick is looking around my room, his hands awkwardly stuffed in his front pockets.

I make my way to my closet and try to make quick work of it. Putting the few clothes I have in the backpack.

I look around my room and give it one last final goodbye. Knowing I'll have to leave most of my childhood possessions that bring me comfort.

"Whose this" Nick says softly, holding up a picture of a young girl smiling brightly, and a women was tossing her up in the air.

"Me and my mom" I say. My voice is a whisper, and sounds weak. I don't know what I expected given I haven't used it in the last 3 years.

Nick beams at the sound of my voice, and it makes me a little more confident about using it.

"You're so cute. You guys look happy." He smiles at me. I so desperately wish I could respond like a normal person, but I just nod.

I know Nick is a safe person, I've seen that through his actions. But it's going to take time for me to talk like normal again. Having grown so used to, and so fond of the silence.

"Is she around anymore?" He says gently. I can tell by the look on his face he already knows the answer, so I don't bother.

"Come on" I say, slinging the backpack on and making my way down the ladder, out the door, and to his car. Without the need of another word.

-

Did you know there are approximately 2.5 million homeless children in America?  Well, today is the day I join the statistic.

I, Audrey Marie Johnson am officially homeless.

I lied to both Nick and his mother when questioned about my living situation. I told them both that I have a cousin who would take me in, and help me get on my feet. But thats not true. I don't have any mysterious cousin, or relative that would help me. I don't have anyone, and maybe I never really have.

I've always been isolated. Just me and my parents, until I turned 14 and my mom left.  Nothing was the same after that.

The last thing I want to do is burden someone as lovely as Nick and Sarah Nelson. They are the biggest sweethearts, and have been more than kind to me. I know they'd offer up their own home to me. But I could never ask that of them. They've helped me too much already. Know too much already. 
And I also feel indebted to them. I owe them everything for saving my life, and I hate owing people.

So here I am, roaming the almost empty school hallways. I told Nick that my 'cousin' was picking me up after school. And he told me how proud he was of me and how strong I was.

That was an hour and a half ago, and I still can't shake the guilty feeling I have in my stomach for lying to him.

Besides it's not like I have no plans at all. I'm going to stay in the old locker rooms that I shower in sometimes. No one is there after school hours, and the coaches office is always unlocked. It's the best I can do, because at least it's warm, and can protect me from the weather.

It's only temporary. When I turn 18, I can get approved for a house and can find something more stable.

I walk around the hallways and into a couple of different classrooms. Seeing what might be useful before I get settled in for the night.

I come up with a throw pillow, a thin blanket, and a handful of breakfast bars.

I head to the locker room, to take a hot shower. I might as well make myself comfy in my new home, besides showering here isn't uncommon for me.

I wrap myself in a towel and grab my back pack and the supplies I scavenged. 

I enter the office and assess what will now be my new home.

It's bare. A chair sits in the corner and there's a desk positioned in the middle of the room. Book cases, and boxes of equipment for various sports and p.e classes. And it has a fairly big closet.

There's not really anything here that will be of use, so I don't bother looking any deeper. Instead, I opened my backpack. Got dressed in the warmest clothes I have, And cuddle into a ball on the ground wrapped in the thin blanket.

It's better then being on the streets. It's better then being on the streets.

I find myself repeating for hours until sleep finally takes me.