Chapter 23

Here comes another one from the author of the book. 

Sarvente's P.O.V

Ruv has been oddly clingy the past couple of days. Yesterday I found him sleeping outside of my room and, other times he would walk in front of me whenever I went to buy groceries from the market. He disguises himself to blend in, but so far his gaze seems to get him more attention than less. When I asked him about he just brushed it off which only made me more suspicious of him.

Ruv was sitting on the couch reading a newspaper periodically taking a sip of his coffee before setting it down on the coffee table. I sat down next to him, taking a peek at the newspaper he was reading, and found something interesting. "Three unidentified women were found dead in the alleyway,  Unknown suspect still roaming the street." I absentmindedly read it aloud. Ruv only nodded at the statement before flipping to another page to see another one but this time it was young girls. "Is this what got you all worried the past few days?" I asked, He was quiet for a moment before he sighed looked me in the eyes, and said yes.

The only word I could mutter was ''Oh'' in his reply. "Well, uh, thanks for looking out for me Ruv. You don't have to worry about that, I'm more than capable of fighting than you think." I said proudly placing a hand on my chest. He put the newspaper on the coffee table and took one of my hands. "Promise me you will keep your guard up no matter what. I don't doubt your capability to give someone a run for their money but still...There are still moments where you could get hurt so please be careful." He took both my hands into his, eyes were in anguish as he said those words."Okay, I'll be careful from now on." He looked at me in relief, letting go of my hand then went back to his newspaper. I smiled at him before leaving him to his own devices while I prepared our breakfast.

Hours have passed and the sunlight was beginning to vanish as night came. Leaving the church to buy groceries at night isn't my typical routine. Unfortunately, we already run out of ingredients and other necessities. I told Ruv I'd be buying groceries to which he reluctantly agreed but not before asking if he could come with me. I politely declined the offer telling him to watch the church from vandalizers.

On my way to the market, I saw Ms. Agatha sitting outside of her store on a bench nearby. I stopped to greet her. "Hello Ms. Agatha, why are you outside at this hour? Aren't you cold?" I asked. "Oh, hello my dear," She smiled, patting the bench beside her. I sat down next to her. "I just wanted some fresh air, the cold doesn't bother me at all.  I feel at ease with the cold breeze the night offers." She giggled. "How is your friend? How's he doing?" She asked. "Oh, his doing fine at the church, He's a bit worried though."

"Why is that?"

"Have you heard the news?"

"You mean the killer who's been killing women? Yeah, I heard it and honestly, I'm not impressed with his behavior. If I see him I will give him a piece of my mind." She said as she started shadowboxing. After 5 minutes of chatting, she gestured for me to get going as the sky was getting darker by the second. "Be careful on your way dear! Don't make your friend more worried than he should be okay?" She waved her hand. "I will! thank you, Ms. Agatha."

I made my way to the market just a few meters away from Ms. Agatha's shop. Lucky for me today the market is having on sale on most of the things I'm going to buy. Not many customers were present tonight, which must have something to do with the recent events. I hope whoever they are, they will not do this any further than they already had. People's lives can't be brought back once it's gone...Forever.

After thanking the cashier, I stepped outside to double-check my purchased items before a sudden eerie feeling hit me. I looked around and saw five men dragging two young girls and from the looks of it, they were up to no good. "Hey! What are you doing to those poor girls!" I stopped in front of them, glaring at them to try and intimidate them to which they just laugh off.