Improvised Proposal

Inspired by Third Watch

-----

The streets of Mantle were cool and chilled.

But it didn't affect you, for you had warmth of your Rose by your side.

You were walking beside Ruby to where her team was awaiting.

"Why can't he loosen up?" Ruby asked aloud.

She was complaining about General Ironwood and the situation between Mantle and Atlas.

"I get we need to finish the Tower but Mantle doesn't know that."

You were half listening. The reason being, you were dealing with your own issues.

Your hand brushed over your pocket, over a certain box that you were carrying.

Your main issue: Asking Ruby to marry you.

You just weren't sure how to go about it. You had several ideas but nothing panned out. As a baseline, you wanted it to be a surprise. Sudden and unexpected was your theme.

While you were deep in thought, Ruby looked at you. She felt irked as she assumed you were just tuning out her words.

"Are you listening to me?" She asked as she grabbed your arm to get your attention.

Her familiar touch was enough to make you snap.

You harshly pulled away from her gasp as you turned to her.

"Damn it Ruby, will you marry me?" You yelled in frustration.

There was a loud clang as someone dropped something and everything and everyone went dead silent.

Ruby would break that silence after several moments.

"What did you say?" She quietly asked with a visible blush.

Her mind and heart was racing. She wasn't sure about what you had said. She didn't want to assume you asked her to marry you but she was panicking if she misheard you.

Meanwhile you also started panicking. You had finally accomplished what you've been struggling with and was now regretting everything. You looked around and you only now noticed Ruby's team in the background.

Weiss, Blake and Yang were several feet behind Ruby and had seen and heard the whole thing. Yang had gotten up from her seat and smiled in excitement. Weiss was sitting down, mouth agape as your announcement was unexpected. Blake was so surprised, she had even dropped a canister of dust that caused the clang sound.

Your eyes looked to them. In your terror and helplessness, you silently pleaded to them for anything.

The long and awkward silence between you and Ruby made it uncomfortable for them. They pitied you and decided to help.

Blake started holding her hands, one under the other then extending her arms out, symbolizing giving the ring.

Yang took a more active approach. She repeatedly started kneeling while gesturing to get on one knee.

Weiss also assisted by pointing at Yang's knee. She started mouthing "Get on your knee".

Their message managed to get through your thick head. There was no going back after what you've started.

"W-What did you say?" Ruby asked again with a stutter.

The long moment was overheating her brain with confusing thoughts. Her face was red with bewilderment and excitement.

You reached into your pocket for the box as you got onto one knee in front of Ruby.

Ruby gasped as her thoughts coalesced into one, the one thought she hoped for.

"Ruby Rose..." You started out. You flipped open the box to reveal a gold ring.

You took a brief pause as you wondered if you should tell her how much she meant to you.

Your heart thumped in your chest as your breathing became more labored and your head ached. All of this, due to impatience.

You decided to not talk around it and just ask immediately.

"Will you marry me?"

And after clearly hearing your question, Ruby responded joyfully.

"Yes!" She yelled as she tackled you.

Your back hit the ground as you hugged Ruby back.

Weiss, Blake and Yang clapped and cheered as did nearby bystanders.