Not So Graceful

"You were right. You are rusty when it comes to fighting with a knife." Glorfindel said holding a hand down to me.
I took his hand in mine and let him pull me to my feet.
"You didn't have to knock me over though." I grumble as I dusted off my sleeve.
"You're still better than I am Arniel." Draco said from where he was sitting on a desk near the wall.
"While that is true Master Draco, an elf that has lived 2740 years should have better skills." Glorfindel said as I walked over to pick up my knife.
"You can blame Ada for that. He was the one that stopped our lessons in favour of learning from books." I replied.
Glorfindel rolled his eyes and instructed the three of us to run through a training sequences.

A loud tolling of the bell rang through the castle signifying the end of classes for the morning. Luna and Draco handed back their carved wooden swords that Glorfindel had acquired.
"Thank you for the lesson Lord Glorfindel." Luna said with a smile. Glorfindel dipped his head to her and she left the room with a skip in her step.
"I aspire to be as carefree and happy as her." I said as the door closed. Glorfindel shook his head and grinned.
"I will see you in the morning. Thank you." Draco said turning on his heel and striding out of the room, his head held high.
"Come. Let us go and eat lunch." I said to the tall blond elf.
"Not before I do this." He said stepping towards me and pulling me flush against him in one movement.
He leaned down and placed a lingering, searing kiss on my lips. I was glad he had his arms around my waist as my legs felt a little like jelly.
It took a moment for me to realise Glorfindel was speaking to me.
"I'm sorry can you repeat that? I was a little dazed." I said to him, the tips of my ears turning pink.
"I said I am ready for lunch now." He said laughter twinkling in his eyes. I stepped back from him, my ears still bright pink.
"Oh. Well let's go then." I said turning and hurrying towards the door. Glorfindel's laugh filled the room as I escaped it.

The great hall was filled with hungry student's delightedly devouring the piles of sandwiches on the long tables. Ron, Hermione and Harry were no different. Although Hermione had a little more self control than the two young men near her. Harry and Ron simply shovelled their food into their mouths like they hadn't eaten in months.
"Goodness. What class has given you such a raging appetite?" I asked them teasingly as I sat down at the table.
Ron turned red at my comment but didn't slow down his eating. Harry swallowed his mouthful and took a sip of pumpkin juice before answering me.
"Professor Sprout had us carrying huge bags of potting mix without magic. Apparently 'magic can mess up the formula and the plants don't like it.'" He said rolling his eyes at the memory.
"Ah I see. Manual labour. Yes I've seen many a ranger eat with the same earnest after hard work." I said to the three as I placed two sandwich halves on my plate using the tongs provided. I also placed two sandwich halves on the plate next to me as Glorfindel made his was down the table to my side.
"Hannon Le Arniel" he said with a warm smile directed in my direction.
We all sat in silence as Hermione ate while reading and the two men continued to devour sandwich after sandwich.
Hermione closed her book and took a sip of the water in front of her.
"How was your lessons?" She asked me as she picked up an apple from the fruit bowl nearby.
"It was overdue. But it was good. It shan't take me long to get back to the standard of my people. Archery is definitely my strong point though." I said watching the witch cut her apple into slices.
"Oh, it's good you are learning fast." She said with a smile.
I returned her smile and let her get back to her lunch.

———

"I like visiting the Thestrals." Luna said as she lead Glorfindel and myself through the forbidden forest. We had agreed to visit the skeleton horses with her at breakfast.
A high pitched whinny sounded as we broke into a clearing. In middle of the snowy area was a small herd of Thestrals. A foal was prancing around its mother happily making all sorts of snorts and whinnies. One of the Thestrals broke from the group and trotted over to us, letting out a snort of greeting as Luna held a chunk of steak out to it. The creature was huge, larger than a war horse. Its reptilian face easier to see in the daylight. I could tell now, these winged creatures resembled a dragon more than a horse.
"Oh they are meat eaters?" Glorfindel asked curiously as he held a hand out for the Thestral to sniff.
"Yes. They are carnivorous." Luna said looking back over her shoulder with a smile. The thestral took the opportunity to snatch the meat from Lunas outstretched hand and flapped his large bay like wings happily.
"They are quite unique." I said stepping forward to offer another Thestral that had wandered over some meat.
"Most Wizarding kind view them as omens of bad luck and aggression. However I find they're quite friendly and social. You just have to be patient." Luna said to us digging in her bag for more Thestral snacks.
With the utmost care and gentleness, the dark grey Thestral in front of me took the meat from my hand and trotted off to enjoy it.
Glorfindel made a noise of surprise as the playful foal bumped her head into his thigh before running off kicking at nothing.
"I assume because you can only see them after witnessing death that that is why they got their reputation of bad luck and aggression." Glorfindel mused as he watched the foal playing around its mother once again.
"You are correct Lord Glorfindel." Luna said to him.
I moved back and found a nice place against an old tree to sit and watch the herd. A snort ruffled my hair as foal walked over and stood next to me. I reached up and gently stroked the leathery skin on its neck. The foal moved back a bit before dropping down beside me with her head in my lap.
"I think she likes you Arniel." Glorfindel said walking over. The foal let out a sigh of contentment and closed her eyes. Obviously exhausted from her playing. I continued to softly stroke her neck as she slept. The mother of the foal laid down for a rest herself across the clearing, glad to be free of hassles for the moment.
Glorfindel and Luna continued to supply the Thestrals with treats and quietly conversed about magical creatures that could be found in this forest.
While the tiny Thestral rested on my lap I decided to use the time to write about these creatures. Their leather skin, dark colouring, bat like wings etc.
"Glorfindel, do you remember how to use this Camera that was gifted to me?" I asked him as I pulled my camera from the bag I'd placed on the ground.
"Yes I do" He said walking over to me.
"Could you take a photo of this foal resting on me?" I asked his with a smile. He took the camera from me and clicked it, taking the photo.
"I'll take some of the adults too." He said handing me the printed out picture.
"Hannon Le." I said putting the photo down to let it reveal the capture. Soon I ended up with a nice pile of Thestral photos, some with Luna and some with Glorfindel.
The foal rose and shook its body, ridding itself of any snow before running off to find its mother.
"We must head back now. My afternoon classes will start soon." Luna said with a dreamy smile. She tossed the last steak to the waiting Thestral and walked over to where Glorfindel was pulling me to my feet.
"Alright Miss Luna. Show us the way back." I said gathering my bag.
Soon the clearing was out of site and the three of us were trudging back to the castle.