A Party of Sorts

Impatient knocking echoed through my room once again. Elladan had arrived to escort me to the banquet and was probably getting annoyed with me.
"Coming!" I called out as I slipped the bracelet Glorfindel had gotten me when in the other world onto my wrist.
My deep sea green dress fluttered around my feet as I hurried to open the door.
"It is about time sister mine, you are nearly late. We must go." He said with an unimpressed look on his face. I sheepishly smiled and turned to close the door behind me.
"You look lovely Arniel" Elladan said holding his arm out for me to take hold of. I smiled at my brother in thanks as I took hold of his arm.
We walked silently through the halls towards the garden where the banquet was to be held.
Elladan opened the door and stepped aside so I could enter first.
"Hannon Le brother." I said to him as he stepped through the door. Together we meandered through the garden and participants, greeting those in attendance politely.
"Arniel! I told you that dress is the perfect one." Arwen said as we stopped in front of her and Elrohir.
"You are always correct Arwen." I said smiling at the Elleth dressed in a lovely red dress. Draco walked over to us. He was dressed in a grey tunic with black pants.
"Lady Arniel, Lady Arwen, thank you for being so kind to me as I settled into this place." He said bowing his head respectfully.
"You are quite welcome Master Draco. I am glad to see you have settled in and made some friends." I replied with a soft smile.

The evening wove into night and the music changed from soft to lively. Arwen and myself danced with our brothers and father. Estel asked Arwen to dance while I retreated to get something to drink.
"Arniel, you look beautiful." The deep voice of Glorfindel said as he walked up beside me.
"Thank you Glorfindel." I said turning to face him. He had dressed in a soft yellow tunic and white pants.
"You look very nice too." I told the blond elf. He grinned at me, his eyes lighting up in the firelight.
"I spoke with Ada. He has given us his blessing." I said to Glorfindel. His smile widened in joy and he put his cup down on the table next to us.
"I am glad I brought these then. Here may I have your hand?" He asked me as he reached into his pocket and pulled out two silver rings. One for each of us.
I wordlessly held my hand out to him as he slipped the smaller one onto my the fourth finger on my left hand. Glorfindel held out the larger ring to me and I pushed it onto his hand.
"There it is official. We are betrothed." I said blinking away tears of happiness.
He picked my hand up and kissed the ring softly, a loving smile graced his face.

"Thank you all for attending this banquet in honour of my daughters." Ada said to the gathered crowd waiting to hear his words.
"Before we retire from this night, I wish to announce one more thing." He continued. The silence that greeted his words was almost deafening. Lord Elrond turned his gaze to where Glorfindel and I were standing.
"It is with a joyful heart I announce that Lord Glorfindel and my youngest daughter Lady Arniel are betrothed to be married." He said. Delightful cheers and clapping soared up from the guests.

———

"Master Neville, I hope you are well." I said to the brunette Elfling who was waiting by Ada's study for his morning lessons.
"Lady Arniel, I am well. I hear Lady Arwen is to depart to Lothlorien soon." He said with a smile.
"Yes you are correct. Our grandmother has extended her invitation. I was also invited but I wish to stay here a little longer before heading back to Lorien. Perhaps when I depart for Lothlorien, two young elflings will be ready to join me." I said to him as I opened the door to the study. Luna was to accompany Arwen as she had been a fast study, quickly becoming master of our language and customs. I assume it had something to do with how well she adapted to this new life. Draco hurried down the hallways to the study.
"Ada has some business to attend out of the valley. He will be gone for a couple of days. There is word of some Orcs in the area. I will be delivering your lesson today and tomorrow." I said standing aside and letting the young ones in.
"Oh." Neville said in surprise and some concern.
"It is alright. Ada has the best warriors with him. They will dispatch of the intruders quite quickly." I said trying to appease his fears.
Draco didn't say anything but quickly took his seat at the small desk provided.
"Ada has informed me that you have to complete your last test today on Sindarin. I will get those for you now." I said to the two silent Elflings.

The day passed quickly and a new one arrived. Neville and Draco earned perfect scores on the tests they completed the day before. We moved onto a new subject, the history of Arda. They knew a little of it from reading books Ada assigned them but there was much more to learn.
"So your Father had a twin brother who chose to live a human life?" Draco asked wide eyed.
"Yes. His name was Elros. He was the first king of Númenor and because of his parentage, he was granted a long life-span. Longer than any mortal in Arda, yet shorter than the elves." I said. A large painting of said elf hung next to one of my mother in Ada's room. On the desk in front of Neville and Draco was a small rendition that had been painted onto paper so it may be inserted into a book.
"Did you know your uncle?" Neville asked timidly.
I shook my head slightly, closing the book in front of me.
"No I never met him. Ada never visited him in Númenor and Uncle Elros never left the island. Only when he passed did Ada make the journey." I replied.
"You may be dismissed. Lunch will be served soon. Go refresh yourselves for it." I said standing up.
A horn blasted through the valley signifying the return of the riders. But the sound of clattering hooves and weapons being drawn caught my attention.
Draco and Neville followed close behind as I raced through the corridors and down the stairs to the courtyard.
There in the courtyard, surrounded by horses was a company of 13 dwarves, 1 Wizard and 1 hobbit. Ada had dismissed the riders and they departed walking their horses to the stables.
"Master Neville, Master Draco, please return to your rooms." I said firmly turning to face them. I could see the defiance in Draco's eyes but they turned and left.
"Ada, can I assist you? I trust your hunt for the Orcs was successful." I asked as I walked up to him.
"Arniel, thank you for the offer. Perhaps you can ask the kitchens to make extra for our evening meal? I have a feeling we will have guests at it." He said. I bowed my head in respect to him before turning towards the Wizard.
"Mae Govannen Mithrandir." I said before walking back up the steps. The dwarves watching my back warily.
"Who was that?" I heard one of them ask in a stage whisper.
"That Master Dwarf was the daughter of Lord Elrond." Gandalf said to him.

The chef wasn't too pleased about having to make so much more food at short notice. Dwarves were known to have large appetites. She gratefully accepted my help with preparations for the meal, such as making bread dough and chopping vegetables.
"Please forgive me for leaving you now, Radadis, I must wash up for this meal." I told her. She sent a smile my way.
"Thank you for your help My Lady. It is much appreciated." She said as I walked out of the kitchen.