Chapter 23: The Chrono Trials

Zetsubou: "I both welcome and congratulate all three of you who had made it this far. You have proved to be part of the small percent of people capable of shaping the future." Zetsubou started his speech, standing on a raised platform overlooking a massive room with the sunlight leaving him a shadowed figure.

Cocky Guy: "Well it's only obvious. I always knew I was a special case."

Business Lady: "Oh, shut up. You aren't the only person who managed to make it this far."

Cocky Guy: "True, but I'm clearly the most important one here."

Shy Student: "Can we not fight this early...?"

While the three volunteers argued amongst each other, Mercy and Connor watched from the balcony, both letting out a sigh.

Connor: "These are the people meant to replace Kibou? I wouldn't trust them to hold my drink at a bar..."

Mercy: "You aren't the only one with that sentiment... I'm sure that not even AI trusts them." She tapped the railing, watching her phone carefully, waiting for something. When she finally got that notification, she pushed herself off the railing and walked toward the exit.

Connor: "Hm? Where are you going?" He asked, knowing that what Mercy was going to do would be far more important than this.

Mercy: "I'm going to go check Mahiro's old room..." She responded, her voice shuttering as she mentioned that old name.

Connor: "Chrono Prime's old room...? Why would you want to do that?"

Mercy: "Because Mahiro was a smart man... He must've left something behind, something to explain what had happened to him."

Connor: "I thought he died to the Dragon Zodiac?"

Mercy: "...Do you truly believe that...?" She asked, knowing Connor's answer.

Connor nodded and followed after Mercy just as Zetsubou began to explain what this final section of tests would consist of. A simple practice battle between a copy of a Zodiac, to see if they truly were capable of replacing Kibou.

The first one up was the shy student from Seven Sisters. The other two left the room to a safe spot where they couldn't intervene, and Alter had stepped inside. It held up the Alter Rabbit Coin and waited for Aibo to join with the girl.

Aibo: "Just remember that if things get too rough, you can call off the fight."

Shy Student: "R-Right..."

She took in a deep breath as Aibo wrapped around her waist. She stared at the device, wondering how it works exactly before Aibo rolled his eyes and opened himself up.

Aibo: "Ready, Go! Steady, Go! Time to Go! Kamen Rider Chrono!!"

(Compatibility: 67%)

Alter-System: "Let's Loading! U-U-Usagi!"

The altered version of the Rabbit Zodiac wasted no time, dashing straight at the student. She jumped slightly as she found it rough to see past the sand, so she covered her head and started running away. 

Running from the Rabbit proved far more difficult than she thought, because it easily caught up to her. It grabbed her by the neck and slammed her down to the floor. It raised its fist to punch her when a chain wrapped around its arm, yanking it back.

Aibo: "Get your head in the game."

Chrono: "I-I'm sorry." She apologized, her helmet filling with tears as she picked herself off the floor. 

Chrono held out her hand, thinking of any weapons to summon, just like the actual Chrono she had seen out and about. Eventually, she managed to summon the gun and pointed it at the Alter Zodiac.