Chapter 25: Decide What You Want

The sun had set sooner than either of the friends had expected. They were sat outside under a parasol as the parlor prepared their order. Left alone with their thoughts and an awkward silence.

Sakura: "Hey, Kibou? Can I ask...? Why did you resign in the first place?" His best friend asked, curious as to why Kibou would quit being a Kamen Rider, especially after he devoted so much time to it.

Kibou: "Ah, well... It's not like I wanted to..." Kibou finally admitted, staring into his glass as the ice melted away.

Kibou: "I just realized that I wasn't doing a good enough job... That the position was being wasted on me, so..."

Sakura: "That's it?" Sakura raised an eyebrow, thinking that was a stupid reason as to why Kibou would quit.

Kibou: "Yeah... That's it... My job was an important one. I was in charge of quite a few people, and just one slip-up would be... disastrous."

Sakura: "I understand that, but are you sure that was the correct choice...?"

Kibou had stayed silent, clutching the glass even harder than before.

Sakura: "You said you didn't want to quit... Did anyone force you to quit?"

Kibou: "Well... I did sign a contract..."

Sakura: "That doesn't answer my question. Did they force you to quit?"

Once again, Kibou stayed silent. That was enough of an answer for Sakura.

Sakura: "You loved that job, didn't you? You loved it enough to basically drop school... You loved it so much that you even stopped talking to me."

Kibou's eyes widened and he felt his heart drop. He cringed at those words. They hurt him to his core because what Sakura said was true... Kibou looked up, expecting his friend to be angry, disappointed, not to see him smiling.

Sakura: "Kibou... You've always worn your heart on your sleeve. I'll be honest for once in my life." Sakura crossed his arms and leaned back, his smile clear on his face.

Sakura: "You are a naive and stupid individual. I hate that stupid smile you always had. I hate the fact that basically everyone at our schools loved you and that includes even the teachers. I hate that you were so smart that you never even had to try for a single test or quiz. I hate the fact that even though we've been friends for over a decade you still have an honorific at the end of my name... Yet, all those things are also the reason I love you." Sakura closed his eyes and stood up from his seat.

Sakura: "You're innocent enough that the horrors of this world don't even phase you. You try everything in your power to help anyone you come across. You would even be willing to throw away any sort of future and life you have if it meant doing something for the greater good... I both hate and love you, Kibou Kitai..."

At that moment, the employee brought out their calzones, which Sakura promptly took and chuckled as he saw the stunned look on his friend's face. For once in their entire life, their entire relationship, Kibou finally looked like he understood Sakura's words.

Sakura: "That's why I'll tell you this... There is a reason why your name is Kibou Kitai. Kibou means 'Hope' or 'Wish'... While Kitai means 'Anticipation', 'Expectation' or 'Hope'... Your name literally means to Expect Hope... Decide what you want, Kibou, because no matter what you choose, I'm sure you'll make the right choice."

...
(Kitai Household)
...

Kibou walked through his front door, the box with his calzone in his hands. He was so silent that his parents nearly didn't notice him walking in.

Mrs. Kitai: "Hm? Ah, welcome back, Kibou! How was school?" She said cheerfully, glad that her son finally stopped skipping school for that job.

Kibou: "It was..." He stopped, Sakura's words floating around in his head.

Mrs. Kitai: "You're not sick, are you?" She asked, concerned that her son would use this as an excuse to skip school.

Kibou: "I definitely feel sick..." He told her, but it wasn't any sickness that she would think of. It was like he was lonely, and that hurt him. He thought about Connor, Mercy, Yuya, the older Trish...

Kibou: "Aibo..."

Mrs. Kitai: "Well, sick or not, you're not skipping anymore school. I don't want me son living like a useless bum on the streets... Plus, you have plenty of work to finish, so put that in the fridge and sit down at the table. I want to see you finish all that work."

Kibou: "Right..."

Kibou put the calzone away and walked over to the table. His mother set a stack of papers in front of him, more than twelve inches in height, and she leaned over his shoulder.

Kibou's Thoughts: "Here I am again... Like always..."

The room darkened to the point where the only things he could see was the work, his pencil, then his mother. It was like this for as long as he could remember... The only thing that was important to his family was a letter on a sheet of paper. They had wanted him to succeed in life, so anything that wasn't academic was useless... Sakura mentioned him being naive, which he agreed with. It wasn't until he had met Aibo, when he became Chrono, did he realize there was more to life than classes...

Mrs. Kitai: "You don't want to be a failure, right?"

Kibou froze. It felt like the Snake Zodiac was breathing down his neck.

Mrs. Kitai: "I sacrificed so many years of my life for you... It's the least you can do... Right?"