Chapter 32: A Deadly Duel

Gears leaned against the wall of the courtyard, watching over the number of people who had gathered out of the classrooms for some fresh air. There was a range of people, all from parents trying to comfort their children, to students trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Ana: "So... Gears... Is this it? Is this the end of the world?" Ana sat against the same wall that he was leaning against, her eyes sunken and red from the tears she was shedding. 

Ana: "You can tell me... The red sky? The Zodiacs running around? The fact that we're crowded inside of a school like it's a shelter? The world is definitely ending." She smiled up at Gears, her smile exhausted and fake.

Gears: "I know it might seem that way, but trust me when I say we'll do everything in our power to prevent that outcome."

Ana: "Heh... Excuse me for being pessimistic, but three heroes versus an entire nation of monsters? That doesn't exactly fill me with hope..."

Gears looked down at the teenager, the smallest sigh escaping his lips. He agreed with her, even if he never admitted it. This was the exact outcome that he was hoping to stop, and the more hours that passed the more this world began to look like his.

Ana: "Hey... Do you know if dying is painful? Like, if I died to a Zodiac, that is? You fight them a lot, right? So you have to have a guess, right?" 

This line of questioning caught Gears off-guard. It was a testament to how low morale was around here, and how hopeless everything seemed, and it also reminded him of his old team.

Gears: "I don't have the slightest clue... You shouldn't think like that, though... No matter what happens, we'll get out of this. Chrono will make sure of that..."

Ana: "You say that, but everyone has their limits... Kibou would have to be some sort of God if he didn't..." 

Gears: "He'll find a way... The Chrono I knew would fight against fate itself if he had to."

The two watched over the courtyard together in silence after that. As the sun reached its peak, people began to go back into the halls. One part because rain clouds started to roll into the area, and the other being that food was about to be distributed

Tignus: "Yo... Rider..." The Tiger Zodiac stepped out from the double doors leading into and out of the courtyard, a light engulfing him as he took his Zodiac form.

Ana: "A Zodiac..."

Tignus: "The roof... Right now... We'll be settling this." He told Gears, taking out a cigarette. He brought the smoke to his lips and was about to light it when his hands started shaking, looking deeply into the lighter he was holding.

Gears: "And if I don't want to?"

Tignus: "I'll kill everyone... I'm not going to leave you with a choice." His face was serious. A mixture of despair, anger, and hurt blending together to give an expression that Gears was all too familiar with.

Gears nodded and pushed himself off the wall, giving Ana a small nod before walking off with Tignus. The two climbed the stairs inside, and stood on the roof moments later. The Tiger Zodiac stepped closer to the edge and took a long drag from his cigarette.

Tignus: "Dragnis... I can't help but wonder where are you right now?"

Gears drew his sword from his back while Tignus extended his claws. A raindrop fell from the sky, hitting the Zodiac's face. It trailed down his forehead and below his eye, making it seem like he was shedding a tear.

Tignus: "Are you still conscious? Can you still think or is it like sleeping?"

Tignus took the cigarette out of his mouth and flicked it into the air, another raindrop falling and landing directly on the tip, extinguishing the flame. As it landed, the two lunged at each other.

Tignus: "Did you know that Chrono would win? Are you looking down at me with that stupid smirk of yours?"

The two slashed at each other, sparks flying as the sword met the claws. They pushed back against each other, both sliding back and repeating the cycle of clashing their weapons together.

Tignus: "You always knew too much. It didn't matter what I thought was right, because at the end you were always correct."

Gears spun under the claw of the Tiger Zodiac and slashed upward. Sparks flew from the fresh wound, and yet Tignus stood his ground, unfazed. He stabbed at the armor of Gears, causing him to stumble backward.

Tignus: "You were always such an enigma. You were the last Candidate for King. You could've changed this world in your image, and yet you never did."

The Tiger Zodiac raised his arm over his head as Gears brought his sword down. The sword cut through his skin and embedded itself, allowing for Tignus to slam his foot into the chest of the Rider to knock him away.

Tignus: "Instead, all you did was read your stupid books and capture the lives as Humans as tales. You once told me it was because every life had a story to tell."

Gears' sword fell to the ground, stabbing into the floor of the roof as Tignus retracted his claws. The two engaged in hand-to-hand, exchanging swings and jabs. This was a war of attrition at this point, with each refusing to move or buckle as the brutal sound of fists colliding mixed with the sound of falling rain.

Tignus: "I didn't understand back then... I didn't understand why you could look at these people and smile. They were so far beneath us..."

Their last punch had knocked them both into the air, crashing down on opposite ends. They lay there, panting and staring up at the rainclouds as the liquid crashed around them. Eventually, they both stood up, and Tignus tossed Gears his sword.

Tignus: "I understand now, though... I understand why you surrounded your life with their culture. I understand why you tried to be as like them as possible."

Gears pulled down the lever on his sword, causing it to glow the various colors of the rainbow as he prepared his finisher. Tignus extended his claws again, and took a step forward. They both took a deep breath, then launched themselves at each other, raising their weapons and slashing.

Tignus: "It's because... Humans are so fascinating."

The sharp sound of metal cutting through metal filled their ears as Tignus' claws were launched into the sky. Tignus let out a soft chuckle as Gears blade cleaved straight through him, closing his eyes and fading away like all the other Zodiacs. His coin falling down into the puddle of rain water.

Gears turned around, noticing the sound of footsteps splashing against the water. It was Zetsubou, and next to him was the Ox Zodiac who had Ana in a chokehold.

Zetsubou: "I know better than to ask you, Gears." He bent down to pick up the Tiger Coin, giving it a once over.

Zetsubou: "Hand over the rest of your coins, or else she dies. Deal?" He asked, holding out his hand for the Rider.

Gears didn't say a single word, glancing over at Ana and meeting her pleading eyes. She was struggling to breathe at the moment, and her hands desperately clasped over the Ox's. Gears nodded and pulled out his Double Gears add-on.

Double Gears Addon: "Double Gears Time! Battling! Fighting! Overclock! Overpower! Kamen Rider Double Gears, All Green!"

Gears snapped off the pouch that was hanging from his Driver and tossed it over to Zetsubou. Zetsubou thanked him for the help, walking away and leaving the Zodiac alone with Gears. 

The Rider spun the green gear, triggering his Overclock mode and finished off the Alter Zodiac before it could do more harm to Ana. The girl fell to the floor, gasping for air and covering her neck.

Ana: "T-Thanks... and sorry."

Gears: "There's no reason for you to say sorry..." Gears looked out toward the door and figured that Zetsubou would be gone by now... The only thing he could do was meet up with the other Riders.