Chapter Two - Sassy Dragon

Liam has been Violet's shadow for a few days, not that I'm complaining. He was actually funny and kind. He's been super helpful with little things. One of my chairs wobbled in my bedroom, he had noticed when the six of us piled into my room to study. By the end of the night he had fixed it.

Liam takes the seat next to me that happens to be right  behind Violet and Rhiannon. I know his choice in seating arrangements is only for his bodyguard duties to Vi. Unfortunately my heart has a mind of its own as it beats wildly. At this point I've memorized the exposed part of his relic. All the twists and swirls in a beautifully enteric design. It's stupid of me to get the excited butterflies anytime he enters the room knowing that he's only here because Riorson needs him to watch out for my best friend....not because he wants to be.

I watched the way he whittled a small figure just like he's been doing every day. The little mess of wood chips he leaves behind makes me chuckle, wondering what his room must look like. "You're really good at that" I whisper towards him earning a dimpled smile. "Thank you." He says pausing his hands to look at me. When his sky blue eyes find mine I feel those butterflies fluttering like crazy. "Do you have any hobbies?" He asks me as lines crease between my eyebrows in thought. "I use to draw. I haven't done it in awhile." I answer. "You're flirting needs work, little bird." Ryuu's voice comes through the bond. "There's no chance a guy like him would even be interested in me. His type is probably some Badass like Rhi or Imogen." My gaze darts quickly away from his stare as my cheeks start to turn crimson. "Not that I meddle in the affairs of young love. Know that I wouldn't have chosen you if I thought you lacked the necessary strength. Trust me little bird you are worthy." I felt a swell of pride in my chest at his words. "You meddling...never" I tease him. I swear he chuffs a chuckle in response. Liam watches me carefully.

"I'm not sure I'll ever be use to this...the mental talking...him practically reading my thoughts." I say trying to excuse my weird behavior. "Have you been working on shielding with Professor Carr. I heard that helps." He offers me. "It's slightly harder than I thought." I hear a little huff through the bond as I roll my eyes. "Such a sassy dragon" I tease Ryuu once more.

"It must be hard being the only one in your friend group to get their signet and then it be classified." Those sky blue eyes watching me curiously. I was thankful my signet came when I was in a small group talking with Professor Kaori. An overwhelming feeling took over me as I started recklessly wielding the three signets of the people in the room with me. Kaori quickly realized what was happening as he dismissed the others from the room before calming me down and explaining what had happened. I'm struggling keeping my signet to myself and not telling my friends, regardless what I've been told. Classified...well was classified.

"A secret I don't particularly like keeping." I say barely above a whisper. "You don't have anyone you can trust to..." he begins but I quickly cut him off. "It's not about trust....I'm not even sure how to explain it." I tell him. When physics ends I split up with the group to go to professor Carr's class which was a mixture of boring, wishing my friends were here and full of information that I know would be useful later.

I rush down the stairwell of the turret meeting my friends at the bottom. Rhi is pouting as she watches all the first years who are channeling come barreling down behind me. "I want to be like the cool kids" she grumbles as I link my arm in hers. "I'm sorry. It will be your time soon. I know it" I try to encourage her as we make our way to battle briefs. Violet links her arm with Rhi's available one as we continue our pace. It wasn't lost on me where Liam stood right behind Violet and myself.

"You may be cool, but you will never be as cool as I am" Ridoc pushes past Liam as he comes to put his arm around my shoulder. I sneak a peek at Liam to make sure he's alright. Not that I think Ridoc could ever hurt him. "She's talking about everyone whose already channeling....especially our favorite little secret keeper over here with that classified signet." Violet teases as my cheeks flame. "At least if we aren't channeling we're not stressing about manifesting a signet before the magic kills us." Rhiannon offers the others. "Here I was thinking we are talking about how I owned the physics test." He grins "definitely the highest score"