Chapter Twelve - What We Have is Infinite

Liam's POV

"Bodhi!" I shout across the mat. It was nearly empty just Bodhi, Xaden, and Garrick in the gym sparring. Everyone else at lunch or classes.

I don't even realize what I'm doing until my hands are fisted in his shirt pushing him back. The fear and rage was steaming off of me. "Let him go...he can't control what has already happened." Deigh cuts through the emotions taking control of me.

"Mairi" Xaden's voice thundered. My name a warning on his lips.

"She can't be apart of this....any of this.." I demand.

"You think you're the only one that wants to protect her?" He protests.

The anger builds inside of me even more. I can't pretend like I haven't noticed the way he looks at her when he thinks no one else is looking. His stolen glances. The way he smiles when they talk....I've noticed it all. Watched him pine after MY girlfriend for weeks.

"I need to know I can trust you with her life....if anything happens to her....I...." my words lodge in my throat.

It was one thing to imagine what Wren's dragon mating another would mean for her....for us....The relief and terror that has consumed me since the moment I found out it was Bodhi's dragon....it's a feeling I want gone. I know without a doubt he would protect her...that he would do everything in his power to make sure she stayed safe. It's the knowing what we are up against outside the boundaries of Navarre that has me terrified. Knowing the uncertainty we face....what Bodhi...Garrick...Xaden...Imogen...myself all face. I don't want Wren getting mixed up in it. Don't want her life in danger.

"You can trust that I will do everything in my power to make sure nothing happens to her. I promise."

I nod my head letting my grip on him drop, hanging my head. This was all so overwhelming, I couldn't think straight.

I spent the next hour sitting on a mat listening to Xaden and Garrick giving me advice. Of course the two man who aren't in a relationship are trying to give me relationship advice.....totally makes sense.

"I don't understand why you are listening to these two. They have no clue what they are talking about." Deigh cuts in. "And you have some age old wisdom for me?"

"Of course not. I don't meddle with human affairs." He chuffs. "You meddle all the time."

"I don't meddle with human relationships. Everything always seems monumental." He says with indifference.

"And this isn't monumental? My girlfriend's dragon is mated with another." I scoff. "So is your Wingleader...you don't see him over exaggerating his situation."

"Are you kidding me? He's had me shadowing his mated dragons rider for months." I protest. "That's different. No one is going to try and murder your girlfriend no matter how impressive she or Ryuu is. Bodhi and Wren are safe. The only thing you will have to worry about is where they will assign you once you graduate. The probability that you and Wren will be station at the same outpost is slim."

"Thanks for easing my mind Deigh." I scoff. "You're welcome."

I feel like an asshole ignoring Wren all day. Xaden thought it was best to send Imogen in my place while I try to collect my emotions. Deighs advice was getting the better of me. He was right. The chances of Wren and I making it to the same outpost was slim...not when our dragons weren't mated. I tried to sleep...I was about to give up when my eyes started getting heavy.

The banging on my door startled me awake. I hoped it was Wren....even if I made a giant mess of today. Gods I hoped it was her. My wish was granted but the moment I saw the hurt in her face as she quickly turned away from me made my stomach twist in knots....I really fucking screwed up.