Chapter Eighteen - I Cannot Break

Bodhi's POV

It's hard not to worry anxiously about Wren. She spends the majority of her time sleeping. Refuses to eat unless I come in and make her take a few bites. Otherwise she just stays in the room, wasting away. We haven't been here long and already she's looking frail. Not the strong toned body she's always had. 

I can't say I blame her. I could never judge her for how she chooses to mourn Liam, but I'm struggling to watch her fall apart. I want to fix it, but I can't. There's no fixing this.

I make my way towards Brennan and Violet. "Lieutenant Colonel Aisereigh" I say, handing a folded missive to him. "This just came in from Basgiath. The rider will be here until tonight if you want to reply. I offer Violet a tight lipped smile before I turn to leave.

"Bodhi...wait"

I stop turning back around to face her. "Wren....how is she today?"

"I....." I sigh looking down. "I'm worried about her. She doesn't eat, doesn't leave the room, she just sleeps. You can see the lack of nutrition already evident on her body. It's like she's....."

"Dying?"

My eyes snap up to Violets. The same concerned look crossing her features.

"What can we do?" She questions. I shrug my shoulders because I honestly don't know. "Ryuu hasn't been able to get through to her. He said the grief that consumes her is so raw.....so overwhelming." I mention.

"We'll figure something out. You'll be okay." Brennan tries to reassure me.

"I don't really give a damn about myself. She's all I care about." I snap. Violets eyes widen.

"Bodhi...."

"I'm going to take her a honeyed biscuit. See if I can get her to eat some." I grab a few off a platter heading straight for her room.

It was dark the moment I stepped into her room. Her body curled into a ball in her bed. I'm debating between coddling her like I have been or giving her tough love. Coddling clearly hasn't worked.

I strut towards her curtains opening them as the sunshine invades the entire room. She stirs objecting.

"Enough Wren." My voice booms throughout the room. Her eyes snap to mine in surprise.

"I understand that you are mourning. Hell if I wasn't so worried about you I would be grieving too but I can't let myself....not when I'm up all night terrified that I'm going to loose....." I clear my throat.

"Liam wouldn't want this for you. It would hurt him to see you wasting away because of him." She just lays there staring at me quietly.

"You made him a promise." I remind her. That seems to stir something awake inside of her.

"You promised him you would look out for Sloane.....he didn't ask me....didn't ask Xaden.....or even Violet. He asked you Wren. He asked you for a reason. If you keep going like this you will be no help to her."

"You want to make sure the last Mairi survives her first year then get up and be the badass I fought alongside. Make Liam fucking proud that you got back up and didn't let his death destroy you."

She wipes her tears furiously. "I hate you." She curses at me.

"That's fine. Hate me all you want if it means you will get your ass up."

Her body fervently shakes with a fresh set of sobs. I dash towards her climbing into her bed and pulling her into me. Her head rests on my chest. "I'm sorry for being hard on you.....I don't know how to fix this." I admit.