Chapter Ten - Super Secret Spying Squad Battles

The Squad Battles were here. My flight time in the gauntlet sky race was the fastest in the squad. Something I wasn't going to brag about but it was still exciting to see the look on Cianna's face when I finished. Turns out I was top three for the fastest times out of all riders.

The excitement coursing through the room during the matches were at an all time high. Everyone was pushing at our backs while we watched Liam on the mat. After two events, we're in seventh out of twenty-four on the leaderboard, but if Liam wins, we will jump to third place.

Rhi screams for the rider out of Second Wing to tap out as he drags himself forward on the mat, his hands splayed wide, his fingernails digging in as Liam holds him in a leg lock, forcing his back into an impossible arch. Mikael cries out in an earsplitting scream as my boyfriend holds fast and presses his advantage.

"Fuck me, that looks like it hurts." Vi mutters over the cheering first years.

"Yeah, he's not walking for a while," Ridoc agrees, cringing at the scene in front of him. With another cry, the Second Wing boy slams his palm into the mat three times and the crowd roars. "That was so fucking hot" I whistle as Ridoc gives me a look of disgust. "Keep it in your pants will ya"

I give him a wink before Liam and I race towards each other. I jump into his arms as he holds me with ease. I connect my ankles together at the small of his back one of my arms wrapping around the back of his neck as the other hand cups his cheek. Our lips find each others instantly. A kiss that made time stand still as everyone cheers around us. He pulls back that perfect dimpled smile making my heart melt into a a damn puddle. "We won!" His voice full of excitement.

"All because of you" I say with pride.

"Your winner!" Professor Emetterio shouts, his voice traveling through the gym causing everyone to quiet. The excitement still bubbling throughout the room. Liam lets me down as he steps towards the professor. "Liam Mairi from Second Squad, Flame Section, Fourth Wing!"

Liam puts up both hands in victory and turns in a small circle before pointing at me and mouthing I love you. The sound of cheering made my ears ring in the best possible way. Seeing him like this....seeing him be celebrated for how amazing he is made my heart burst with such love...such pride. He deserved this and more.

Commandant Panchek steps onto the mat, Liam comes to join the rest of our squad. Sweat was pouring off his skin as he wraps his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder. "I know you were all expecting the last portion of the Squad Battle to happen tomorrow, but the cadre and I have a surprise."

Every single rider's attention was now on him.

"Instead of telling you what the final, unknown task will be and giving you tonight to plan for it, your final task will begin this hour!" He grins, throwing out his hands and turning just like Liam had with the exception of pointing to me and expressing his love for me.

"Tonight?" Ridoc whispers.

"Dain isn't here. Neither is Cianna." Violet observes.

"Oh shit." Imogen whispers looking over the crowd herself.

"As you may have noticed, your squad leaders, and their executive officers have been....shall we say sequestered with your section leaders and wingleaders, and no, before someone asks, your task is not to find them." He continues to walk in a small circle, addressing each side of the mat. "You are to break into your squads and accomplish a unique mission this evening without the leadership and instruction of your squad leaders."

"The purpose of a squad leader is to form a tightly knit unit that can carry on with a mission after their demise. Consider your leaders..demised." Panchek shrugs a little too gleeful.