Chapter Eight - Blackberry Pies and Love Confessions

Liam's Pov

I'm in love with Wren Blackwell. I've been in love with her for far longer than I realized. Watching her break down after nearly killing Barlowe with his own signet was gut wrenching, but it wasn't until she finally told me what she was feeling. I felt completely helpless. If I would have known, I would have never left her side. The guilt had been churning in my stomach all evening as I held her.

"You can't blame yourself. You were honoring your duty to your wingleader." Deigh says startling me slightly. "Fuck duty. Not when this is the aftermath. I can hardly stomach this. Watching the strongest woman I know struggle.....watching the woman I love sobbing." I brush my fingers through her wild curls.

"Struggle is part of this journey. She will not grow...will not succeed with her signet if she doesn't struggle. She will be okay, Liam Mairi...and so will you." Deigh might be right. Of course I will never admit it out loud...even if he already knows.

I wasn't planning on having sex with Wren tonight. To be honest I wanted it to be special, tell her I love her first. Maybe have some candles...real romance stuff. She deserved more than some spontaneous night, deserved way more than I could offer. But I don't regret tonight, she was breathtaking....I've never felt more alive....never felt so completely content and nervous simultaneously.

I don't know what I did to have the Gods bless me, that I was lucky enough to live in the same universe, walk the same earth, and dream under the same stars as her.

I didn't want to fall in love, not at all...not even a little. But at some point....there was a moment she smiled that bright breathtakingly beauitful smile and Gods did I fall hard.

I brush her wild curls out of her face, her hand resting on my bare chest. Our naked bodies tangled up in each other. This was my moment. The moment that was going to change the course of my life honestly. Either she feels the same way or she is going to break my heart. The nerves were getting the best of me. "Just tell her how you feel. Don't be a weakling." Deigh says unenthusiastically. "Thanks. Appreciate the pep talk"

Here it goes.....

"I love you Wren" my voice shaky, her eyes widen, snapping to mine. I could feel the moment she held her breath as she looked at me.

"You were so unexpected. I was just supposed to shadow some random girl from Fourth Wing. Then I met you....that random girls best friend. And suddenly all at once my entire universe began to change. I think my soul chose you....like it knew something I didn't yet. I didn't want to fall in love...didn't put that in my plans until there was you." My lips brush hers for a small moment before I pull back to take a look at those big beauitful hazel eyes. "You are fluent in me, Mockingbird. And I hope to the Gods that you feel the same way...hope that you love me too."

Her hand leaves my chest to cup my face. A small smile tilting the corner of her lips as my nerves instantly calm. "I spent my entire life drowning. You taught me how to breathe." Her smile grows wider as I lean into her touch. "I always wanted you, even before I knew you. It was you....it will always be you. You Liam Mairi are the chapter that I stumbled upon and when I finally turned the page and began to read, I knew I was home.....I love you.....I love you so much it physically hurts. A love so fierce I will never be the same again."

My lips crash into hers cutting her off. I needed to feel her, needed to kiss her lips to make sure that this was reality and not some dream. Everything I never knew I wanted was right here in my arms. "Say it again?" I beg with a smile. "What....the part where I said I love you or the part where I most definitely said I love you?" she teases. I push her back against the mattresses as I sink into her. She was my heaven.